NEED HELP Pillar Post Removal

Killacam1982

Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
Ga
Hello, can anyone help me. I have a pillar that flew off coming out a drive thought car wash. I have an envoy xl. I'm wanting to go to a junkyard and remove one then installation on my voy. It's the back left passenger side. Any tools to use. And as far as installation what is the best glue type.

Thanks!

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I assume you mean the B pillar covers, and not the D pillars on the liftgate. To remove, you'd need some adhesive remover, or be able to power a heat gun to soften the glue. No idea how you'd manage that at a junk yard though.

I think others have just removed all the covers, cleaned off the adhesive residue and left the color matched surface below. Some who've wanted to go back to black, used a simple vinyl overlay. So you have some options.

Killacam1982

Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
Ga
I assume you mean the B pillar covers, and not the D pillars on the liftgate. To remove, you'd need some adhesive remover, or be able to power a heat gun to soften the glue. No idea how you'd manage that at a junk yard though.

I think others have just removed all the covers, cleaned off the adhesive residue and left the color matched surface below. Some who've wanted to go back to black, used a simple vinyl overlay. So you have some options.

Thanks so much for replying. After a few weeks of seeing a lurker, it feels good to asked a question and get an answer. I for one am a minority when it comes to our 360s and 370s. I love the black trim. But the color match underneath looks better on TBs. Imo. So with three pillars left and only one off it looks bad. Especially with the old adhesive left on. It's a Brown dirty color now... lol.

So what kind of vinyl would you recommend since I wouldn't be able to get one from a junkyard or would a type of adhesive remover to the trick by just pulling back the top part a bit. Then adding a few drops behind it?

Again thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Using adhesive remover could take a considerable amount of time, since it would have to soak into the adhesive, and you can't apply it directly. For the cover that came off, does the adhesive residue look like it could have been from double sided tape? A pic would help.

That's how the door moldings are stuck on, and some have used fishing line to saw through the tape to remove them, and then use adhesive remover to clean off the rest.

Killacam1982

Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
Ga
Using adhesive remover could take a considerable amount of time, since it would have to soak into the adhesive, and you can't apply it directly. For the cover that came off, does the adhesive residue look like it could have been from double sided tape? A pic would help.

That's how the door moldings are stuck on, and some have used fishing line to saw through the tape to remove them, and then use adhesive remover to clean off the rest.

Looks like Will have to deal without it. I will still take a picture of it. Thanks for your help

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kraymates

Members Online