Phantom Wiper Sweep

JimInRadfordVA

Original poster
Feb 29, 2016
Radford, VA
I have noticed that my rear wiper will make a random sweep once a week or so. The wiper switch is definitely off. Could this be the first sign of a fraying wiring harness at the back hatch? It's a 2005 TB LS 4.2 4WD.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Maybe. Or the lift gate module? On the voy it just doesn't like to work. Probably should look into it.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
At that age, it could be a lot of things. Maybe corrosion in the switch so while it's off, try running it across all the settings. Flaky wiring, ground, moisture. Could also be the motor itself since it has an electronic controller. It works on a signal from the TGM so if the circuit is misinterpreting a signal, it might act up.

All speculation as I have never heard of this happening before.

Last edited:

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
It seems the TB is susceptible to phantom glitches. My blower occasionally switches itself from low to high and I have to manually lower it.

JimInRadfordVA

Original poster
Feb 29, 2016
Radford, VA
Figured it out, by accident. On vacation this week, and the TB was dead one afternoon when I went to start it. Popped the hood to inspect, and apply a jump box. Discovered that both battery terminals were loose! No corrosion or frayed wiring-- just loose. A good snugging up and not only were we good to go, but the phantom rear wiper sweep disappeared.

Thanks for everyone's interest.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
And a good reminder to check the simple things every time you open the hood.

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
Similar to an issue my old Taurus used to have. When the alternator was dying, you could be driving along and suddenly the front wipers would start, in slow motion. They took about 45 seconds to go across and back down, but when they made it back to park the car died. It was like an hourglass warning you of how long you had before it died. I'd see them start and think "Oh sh.." and start trying to get to a good stopping point.

Reactions: Redbeard

Redbeard

Jan 26, 2013
That reminds of my old '54 chevy. When you stepped on the gas the wipers stopped. But thank goodness it wasn't an electrical problem. lol. Might you believe it was a vacuum problem? Yep, the wiper motor was vacuum operated, so in rain you take off and vacuum drops to about zero, the wipers also go to no motion as well, as well as your ability to see the street in front of you. That first experience was a true eye opener and totally unexpected. 6volt electrical system in that '54 with "three on the tree" for the transmission shifting.

Reactions: Tiggerr

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher