Performance Torque Converter

Pittdawg

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Has anyone ever installed an aftermarket performance torque converter on a 4.2? I can't find any threads on this, only for 5.3's and 6.0's. :confused:

This-Mega Raptor 4L60E Quadrolock Quadruple Disc Torque Converter-ordered with a 3 to 1 STR sounds badass!

Torque Converter Diesel Torque Converters 68RFE Billet Low Stall

You get 50% off the second converter when you buy two! Who wants to:
a) talk me out of this and explain why its a bad idea; or
b) give me $900 to purchase two of these converters?

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Circle D. Thats what my 4l70e will run when that tax return comes in February, I also plan to put it in front of a built trans. They add more stress to the set up these are actually based on the i6 converter. I would email them or get with them on TBSSowners they are a vendor.
https://www.circledspecialties.com/c-14-gm.aspx

Pittdawg

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
STLtrailbSS said:
Circle D. Thats what my 4l70e will run when that tax return comes in February, I also plan to put it in front of a built trans. They add more stress to the set up these are actually based on the i6 converter. I would email them or get with them on TBSSowners they are a vendor.
https://www.circledspecialties.com/c-14-gm.aspx

With all due respect a converter set up for 6.0 V8 is not at all applicable to a 4.2 I6. Totally different power bands/needs. That's why I asked specifically about a converter on the LL8.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Cam power band +500rpms. They make a 1800 stall minus the 500 and your band begins at 1300RPM.
These are 4l60e converters
The raptor only goes 100rpms lower with the 1700

Advertised stall speed will need to be at least 500 RPM higher than the beginning of the powerband of your camshaft. All aftermarket camshafts are supplied with a cam card that states RPM range. If your camshaft states an RPM range of 1500-6500, for example, you would want to select a torque with a minimum of 2,000 RPM stall.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I was looking into TC's when my trans had a 2-3 flare thinking the end was very near, came up with a few notes. The TC's that are advertised above may or may not be suitable for towing. You may need to stick to the stock 12" unless you are after street performance.

If you are after versatility with a higher than stock torque multiplication, I would look into the Edge 12" heavy duty. Also not higher stalls will heat up more and not work well at all with towing in mind.

Pittdawg

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
gmcman said:
I was looking into TC's when my trans had a 2-3 flare thinking the end was very near, came up with a few notes. The TC's that are advertised above may or may not be suitable for towing. You may need to stick to the stock 12" unless you are after street performance.

If you are after versatility with a higher than stock torque multiplication, I would look into the Edge 12" heavy duty. Also not higher stalls will heat up more and not work well at all with towing in mind.

Thanks. I've done a ton of research too. If I do get a converter, I'll definately get a PCMforless tranny cooler. I was just wanting to hear from someone who actually installed one a 4.2. After scouring the net, it appears the answer is no, which I find rather odd.

BoldAdventure

Jun 28, 2012
Pittdawg said:
With all due respect a converter set up for 6.0 V8 is not at all applicable to a 4.2 I6. Totally different power bands/needs. That's why I asked specifically about a converter on the LL8.

Really? Odd, I seem to be running an aftermarket SS Torque converter on my 4.2L and it performs great.

Pittdawg

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
mikekey said:
Really? Odd, I seem to be running an aftermarket SS Torque converter on my 4.2L and it performs great.

Did you buy it used off an SS owner? What converter are you running?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online

No members online now.