PCMofNC Swap - couple questions

Maverickxeo

Original poster
Jan 25, 2021
Alberta, Canada
So excited to have this tune! That said, I ordered the 'core' model as I live in Canada and didn't want to mess with shipping back and forth. As such, I will be swapping the PCM myself. In doing so, I just wanted to make sure I am doing it correctly. I imagine it is as simple as it seems - disconnect negative battery terminal, unplug PCM connectors, unbolt PCM and then installation is the reverse. Is that correct? Also, is there any sort of 'setup' I have to do for the new PCM? I asked that VATS be disabled as Kelly indicated it was a common failure point anyways - so I don't need to worry about that. I was also told that a CASE relearn is rare on my model year, but if I need to get someone to do it, is there a 'safe' way to do it so my tune isn't overwritten?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You will still need to do the security relearn.

If you need a CASE relearn, you'll get a code(s) for it. It doesn't do anything to the tune itself, it just learns the angles of the crank and cam.

Maverickxeo

Original poster
Jan 25, 2021
Alberta, Canada
You will still need to do the security relearn.

If you need a CASE relearn, you'll get a code(s) for it. It doesn't do anything to the tune itself, it just learns the angles of the crank and cam.

Even with VATS disabled?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yup. It's not VATS. It's a "handshake" between the BCM and PCM.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If you switch back to the original PCM, you might have to redo the relearn. I don't remember if I had to do that when I switched back to my stock PCM.

Maverickxeo

Original poster
Jan 25, 2021
Alberta, Canada
Yup. It's not VATS. It's a "handshake" between the BCM and PCM.

So I got the PCM today - and was expecting to need to do the security relearn (set aside an hour) and the thing started up on the first attempt! There is definitely an improvement (however, I will admit, I don't see as large of an improvement as some have said).

I did notice one issue though that I emailed them about - the instant MPG reading stays at 0 - I'm assuming the vehicle needs to run for a while to get an estimation?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The improvements on the I6 are usually not as noticeable as on a V8. Maybe better throttle response and better shifts but that's usually about it.

niceguypmp3

Oct 31, 2020
iowa
When i put my newly tuned ecm in and started it and drove to town, my mpg readout stayed at 0. i started to panic but after i shut it off and restarted it, then it started working again.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online