PCM Tune feedback....

Charley12

Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
Ordered my PCM tune from PCMforless this week! Just looking for some feed back from a few of you that have some miles on their tune! Any issues etc... My transmission guy is convinced that they do more harm than good. I don't agree with him so I'm looking for confirmation on my decision! Thanks all

Ryda55555

Apr 11, 2013
Yea the garage guy said it would do more harm than good too but everyone and their mothers here have a tune so im pretty convinced that tuning is a good thing

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Second year on my tune, no problem here. As far as tranny issues that might surface, don't worry about it. In fact, I think that it makes it last longer with sharper shifts and no PWM slippage in the TCC because I do feel it engage. When I bought my truck, it had skanky brown fluid in the tranny. Did my own flush and the tune, been good since.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
I've got somewhere around 3 years/70K on the tune. No real issues (that are related to the tune) so enjoy the tune and tell your trans guy to sit on it!:biggrin:

Charley12

Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
Hey thanks for all the response guys!! I feel confident, he was trying to compare it to some tunes that diesel guys run. I tried to explain that I'm not trying to pick up 150 HP here!! I know my I6 is not a hot rod! Just want better response stronger shifts and maybe an mpg here and there!

rcam81

Dec 3, 2011
Onsted, MI
I have had my tune since Oct 2007 and haven't had any issues with it. I had 2K on the speedo when I got it. The dealer has never said a word about it either.

BINGA

Jun 8, 2012
I too have had my tune for over 2 years now, and no issues whatsoever. I actually live only a couple hours away from them so I went to see them in person. Great group of guys (and girls) there, very pleasant to deal with and answered any and all of my questions. I'd highly recommend them to anyone, and keep in mind they do tunes for many more vehicles than just ours, I think GM vehicles are their specialty though...

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
You are definitely going to be impressed with the tune. I wish I would have done it years ago. Went for a long country drive today (First time I have drove for more than 10 mintues since I got the tune on Wednesday) and with 80% of torque management gone and shift firmness at level 2, she performed very well accelerating and down shifting. Level 2 is not as hard as I thought it was going to be, but a huge improvement over stock. WOT feels like I am not even driving the same TB! :wootwoot:

NinjuhhNutz

Oct 15, 2012
dmanns67 said:
You are definitely going to be impressed with the tune. I wish I would have done it years ago. Went for a long country drive today (First time I have drove for more than 10 mintues since I got the tune on Wednesday) and with 80% of torque management gone and shift firmness at level 2, she performed very well accelerating and down shifting. Level 2 is not as hard as I thought it was going to be, but a huge improvement over stock. WOT feels like I am not even driving the same TB! :wootwoot:

so what exactly did you get with the tune? haven't really looked into it that much, yet...but it's on my magic list :wootwoot:

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Ryda55555 said:
Yea the garage guy said it would do more harm than good too but everyone and their mothers here have a tune so im pretty convinced that tuning is a good thing

If you have an tuner that really doesn't know what he's doing I can agree with that completely they can mess with all the tables and really set an engine up for destruction. PCM4less are THE trailblazer tuners you would have no worries what so ever going with them.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
NinjuhhNutz said:
so what exactly did you get with the tune? haven't really looked into it that much, yet...but it's on my magic list :wootwoot:

After you purchase the tune on the website, you have to fill out your tuning order sheet. It is about 7 pages of questions about your vehicle and whether different components are stock or aftermarket. Below is my tune.

Shift firmness- 2 Moderately firm (Choose between 1 and 3)
Fuel Octane- 93 (Choose between 87 through 93)
Speed limiter removed
Rev Limiter- 6000rpm
Aftermarket CAI
Aftermarket exhaust (They said with the resonator cut off and replacing the stock muffler with a Flowmaster, that would be considered aftermarket)
Do you tow- No, 80% torque management removed (Can tell a huge difference)

Those are the main changes I made, everything else that I did not list was left "stock" on the order sheet. You should be in good shape. PCMofNC is what, a couple hundred miles from you? I am sure they could do it why you wait, maybe even throw her on the dyno for ya :thumbsup:

NinjuhhNutz

Oct 15, 2012
Gotcha...I'm actually trying to find a reason to justify driving down there, lol
The only thing that I'm debating on is the towing thing. I have a 14ft boat that I'm quite fond of fishing in :yes: not sure what they'd recommend for that, guess we'll see ahen I talk to them :biggrin:

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
NinjuhhNutz said:
Gotcha...I'm actually trying to find a reason to justify driving down there, lol
The only thing that I'm debating on is the towing thing. I have a 14ft boat that I'm quite fond of fishing in :yes: not sure what they'd recommend for that, guess we'll see ahen I talk to them :biggrin:

Just email Kelly, sales@pcmofnc.com. She was very helpful with all of my questions. Maybe they would only remove 30% or 40% of torque management since you do tow. I am sure they will have a tune for your requirements.

rcam81

Dec 3, 2011
Onsted, MI
NinjuhhNutz said:

I have had a tune since Oct 2007. The TB only had a couple of thousand miles on it when I got the tune. I am now at 73000 miles. I tow a boat weighing 3500 lbs and have never had an issue. Just keep your fluid changes up to date and you shouldn't have any problems.

BINGA

Jun 8, 2012
NinjuhhNutz said:

I made the trek down there from Roanoke when I went down on a trip to South Carolina and stopped by there on the way back, I just hopped of I-77. I highly recommend going there in person since you live relatively close-by. For one, there is no down time from having to remove your PCM and ship it off, and two, they are really cool people to talk to/deal with. I shot the proverbial s&%t with them while they tuned it in-car, and then test drove it while they rode with me to see if I liked the setup and wanted to make any changes. This is ideal if you're not 100% on what shift firmness you desire :thumbsup:

wesman43

Apr 30, 2013
dmanns67 said:

So with these tunes, does the "shift void" go away where it goes to high RPMs and just sits there for a second or two before down shifting? This may be a possibility for me in the near future :salivate:

NinjuhhNutz

Oct 15, 2012
BINGA said:
I made the trek down there from Roanoke when I went down on a trip to South Carolina and stopped by there on the way back, I just hopped of I-77. I highly recommend going there in person since you live relatively close-by. For one, there is no down time from having to remove your PCM and ship it off, and two, they are really cool people to talk to/deal with. I shot the proverbial s&%t with them while they tuned it in-car, and then test drove it while they rode with me to see if I liked the setup and wanted to make any changes. This is ideal if you're not 100% on what shift firmness you desire :thumbsup:

probably what I'll do, then. When $ allows for it, of course :sadface:

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
wesman43 said:
So with these tunes, does the "shift void" go away where it goes to high RPMs and just sits there for a second or two before down shifting? This may be a possibility for me in the near future :salivate:

The down shift is much improved and very responsive. They also adjust the rev limiter which helps as well.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
wesman43 said:
Now this I like. :3

I travel mostly highway to and from work. Tonight was my first night back to work and I could tell a huge difference driving especially when I would get on it. Adjusting the rev limiter makes a huge difference with the down shifting. One of the best mods I have done to date! :thumbsup:

wesman43

Apr 30, 2013
marshall@pcm said:
Thanks for all the good words, guys! We take 50% of TM out if you tow. 80% if you don't...

What if you tow rarely? I've got 18ft fishing boat that I tow maybe once or twice a year on long trips

Charley12

Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
marshall@pcm said:
Thanks for all the good words, guys! We take 50% of TM out if you tow. 80% if you don't...

This is good to know. I sent my pcm out on sat to you guys!!! My order number is 1392.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Charley12 said:
This is good to know. I sent my pcm out on sat to you guys!!! My order number is 1392.

Did you get your PCM back yet? :wootwoot: How does she run? You will think you are in a different truck, the change is amazing! :yes:

Charley12

Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
My mail is slow so they didn't receive it until Thursday! I'm hoping it will come today!! Looking forward to getting it in my truck!

Charley12

Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
Yes!!! I am patiently waiting!! Can't wait to get it in. I've got a full tank of fuel to burn!

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Charley12 said:
Yes!!! I am patiently waiting!! Can't wait to get it in. I've got a full tank of fuel to burn!

Better save cash for another tank because that one will not last long :wootwoot:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.