PCM install article question

TB360

Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
GMTNation - Installing A PCM (4.2L I6)

It does say when engine engine won't start, leave the key to ON position until security lights goes OFF. But that would kill the battery right? And if battery dies, within 10 minutes or until the lights goes off, will that harm the PCM?

Also, if you're putting the same PCM let's say from being tuned, engine should crank and start correct? Anyone's sharing their experience is highly appreciated.

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
It shouldn't kill the battery unless your battery is weak to begin with. Just make sure that the hvac, radio, and headlights are off and you'll be golden.

No harm to the pcm if it does die, all that will happen is you'll have to start the security relearn procedure (the key on for 10 min) over after a charge.

TB360

Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
kardain said:
It shouldn't kill the battery unless your battery is weak to begin with. Just make sure that the hvac, radio, and headlights are off and you'll be golden.

No harm to the pcm if it does die, all that will happen is you'll have to start the security relearn procedure (the key on for 10 min) over after a charge.

Great! my battery is few months old. That's good to know. Thanks so much.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
beat me to it again Kar :raspberry:

but yes, as long as the HVAC, Radio, and Headlights are off, there should be minimal draw on your battery.. chances are that you might not have to do the security relearn either... when i got my tune, all i had to do the was the CASE relearn... i think the security relearn is hit and miss...

but just follow all instructions and you'll be just fine...

havie22

Dec 4, 2011
You are right boricuaSS!when i got mines it just started right away no relearn! But all trucks may be the same!

havie22 said:
You are right boricuaSS!when i got mines it just started right away no relearn! But all trucks may be the same!

Sorry may not be the same!!!!

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
Boricua SS said:
beat me to it again Kar :raspberry:

My cat decided it was time for me to wake up... Apparently food time is more important than sleep time :biggrin:

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
kardain said:
My cat decided it was time for me to wake up... Apparently food time is more important than sleep time :biggrin:

:crackup: gotta love the animals waking you up for that kinda stuff...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online