Passtime me

AWD V8

Original poster
Jan 12, 2015
Got my 6.0L Cherokee swap ready for the track. Sorry, not an Envoy or Trailblazer, but who wants to take a guess at what I run!
Planning on taking it to the track tomorrow, Friday.

2wd Cherokee, the little one. 2wd. I'd guess it weighs about 3500 with me.
The 6.0L is an LQ4, stock except for an LS1 intake and the shorty headers. 2-1/2" Y-pipe into a cheap 3" muffler and 3" tailpipe.
CAI, yes it really IS cold air.
4.10 rear gears with limited slip.
4L80e
235/55-17 tires.
Electric rad fan. No cooling issues at all with this setup.

I've done nothing tune wise, just played with the shift settings.

It does not hook in 1st or 2nd gear on the street. I have to pedal it in 1st & 2nd to keep it straight.
It runs clean and strong right now.

I've run several of my trucks at this track so I know what I'm doing. I'm confident that I'll do about as good with this setup as anyone can.

The track is a good track, certified for Top Fuel. The temps should be around 95º tomorrow.

There, I've been as honest and upfront as I can be. Your guess is as good as mine.

Post your guesses below. I'll update tomorrow evening as the racing progresses.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
No 'official' time... because when you hit 88mph, the flux capacitor will engage and you'll disappear before the 1/4 mile marker. LOL

Seriously, though... I think you'll just break into the 12s on street tires (e.g.; 12.9x; 12.8x). But that's just a WAG... no facts behind that statement whatsoever.

Best of luck - and this is a fitting capper to this thread. Loved following the progress from start to finish.

Reactions: Redbeard and Matt

AWD V8

Original poster
Jan 12, 2015
No 'official' time... because when you hit 88mph, the flux capacitor will engage and you'll disappear before the 1/4 mile marker. LOL

That's assuming I'll hit 88 before the end of the track.

Reactions: Tiggerr

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Your biggest problem will be traction. You're gonna need big slicks.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
That's assuming I'll hit 88 before the end of the track.
So you don't expect to break 15.53 ?
Oh, ye of little faith...(and no slicks)...LOL

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Your biggest problem will be traction. You're gonna need big slicks.

I second this. At least something wider, or something uber sticky.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
12s if it hooks 13s if it don't. You may run out of gear though, idk if the 4l80 shifts 3rd with the gas on the boards. With those tires and that engine 3.73 in the rear would probably be more fun. I agree with more tire width though.

AWD V8

Original poster
Jan 12, 2015
Lots of good comments.

I'm not going to say ya or nay to anything here yet. I'm giving no hints.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011

Reactions: Redbeard

AWD V8

Original poster
Jan 12, 2015
Hi guys

Sorry to put a damper on your enthusiasm but the beast is not ready for the track. The HP Tuners learning curve is getting the best of me. I thought I'd have it close enough to be safe but not so. This weekend will be a crash course on how to tune your 6.0L Cherokee.

But don't stop guessing, I'm going to beat this thing

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Just add a ton of fuel. Fat and happy right?

AWD V8

Original poster
Jan 12, 2015
Well I had 5 runs. It was hot! Traction off the line was better than I had thought, but the heat sucked the power down.
Being new to HP Tuners I had spent the last 2 weeks in learning mode while also debugging the new swap and everything that goes with it.
The last couple of days were crazy, but I'm glad I got to the track today.

As the night cooled the power got better but the traction got worse!
My first 2 runs were 13.9 @ 99 mph, my last 3 runs were 14.1 @ 98 mph.

I've got to get the truck to shift sooner. The HP peak is around 5200-5400 RPM. The 1-2 shift happens at 5800 RPM and the 2-3 shift happens at 6100 RPM. I can feel the power drop off and it won't shift.
Also beyond 5200 RPM the wideband shows my AFR to be 11.0 and as low as 10.2. Way too rich to make power. I had no time to tune WOT, and it's not practical to do WOT tuning on the street!
I knew it would be rich and I was watching the wideband, so I knew I was at least safe to run it.

As it was I had only just got the basic fuel table tuned hours before the race. Then I still had lots of little bits to take care of.
The camera is one thing I didn't have time to preview and trusted that the previous camera results would be enough to go on. I've got a wicked buzzing, maybe vibration is causing audio problems. And, I set the exposure too high, but at least I can see inside the car!

So first on the list is shifting, then deal with the lack of traction, bigger tires needed.

Not sure when the next time I'll be able to take it to the track, I need some time away from this thing.

Not much of a video, but it is what it is.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
If you want to keep a stock wheel look you may be able to get the rear wheels widened.

AWD V8

Original poster
Jan 12, 2015
If you want to keep a stock wheel look you may be able to get the rear wheels widened.

They are alloy wheels and I wouldn't put that much money into this for wider wheels. I search around for Mustang wheels. Lot's of those, I just need to wait for a deal.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ready67

Members Online