Passenger front window makes a loud THUD when going down

hockeyman

Original poster
Aug 26, 2012
This literally just started about 4 days ago. When the window goes down, it makes a loud "thud" when it reaches the bottom. It IS hitting something somewhere on the inner frame when it reaches the bottom, I just can't seem to find exactly what or where.

I took the door panel off yesterday and could not find where it was bottoming-out. I then put some thin pieces of Styrofoam (only to test it out) all along the bottom of the inside panel where the front and rear tracks were located to see if it would cushion the sound, but it didn't. There was about 2" of foam at the bottom, but still got the sound. I looked all throughout the bottom of the inner door frame for a loose piece of rubber bushing, but found nothing.

Is this the first sign that the motor may be going bad?
It seems to be working fine...for now. I just do not like any irregular noises.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:undecided: It could be... Would first need to determine what part is making the thud noise exactly. Is it the glass hitting something on it's way down, or the window regulator somehow. I'd try disconnecting the window glass from the regulator, run the regulator by itself and see what happens.

hockeyman

Original poster
Aug 26, 2012
It makes the sound when the window stops at the bottom. Almost like dropping the window straight down (without anything holding it) until it hit's the bottom.

I'll disconnect the regulator later on and try it again. Thank you!

Side note:
Why can't I use the "Quote" feature here?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
hockeyman said:
Side note:
Why can't I use the "Quote" feature here?
Need more info. Tapatalk? Mobile web version? Which browser?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I think some other people said they had issues with some forum features when using IE. Maybe test it with another browser, and see if it's any different.

badazzbulldog

Jun 14, 2015
check the 2 tracks that the window rides in front and rear of glass inside the door the front tends to crack where its bolted to the door and as the window goes down it moves the track and it snaps back against where its supposed to be attached.I have had this issue on my 97 k3500 and the 99 silverado we had

EXTeroceptor

Sep 6, 2022
Phx
Sounds like one (or both) of the clips that holds the window to the regulator has snapped. It's probably a clean enough break where it still lines up fine to push the window up, but when you roll it down, the regulator moves and it seems fine but really gravity is moving the window. The track and the weather seal provide enough resistance against the window where the regulator gets to the bottom first and when the window catches up 1/4 - 1/2 second later... THUD.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You do realize you're responding to an 8 year old thread?

Reactions: Machoman

EXTeroceptor

Sep 6, 2022
Phx
Bahaha.. whoops
I did not realize that
It showed up on the bottom of the page, I guess I'm just used to those being similar recent threads rather than just similar threads

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online