Passenger front end low

Instrumental

Original poster
Jan 29, 2012
I suppose it could also be that the drivers side is high, but that seems unlikely. Anyway, I noticed today that the passenger side is an inch or two lower then thdrivers side, front end. I pulled off the wheel on the passenger side, didn't notice anything funny. My first thought is to put new shocks on, but that's not a project I was looking for!

Any thoughts?

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
Instrumental said:
I suppose it could also be that the drivers side is high, but that seems unlikely. Anyway, I noticed today that the passenger side is an inch or two lower then thdrivers side, front end. I pulled off the wheel on the passenger side, didn't notice anything funny. My first thought is to put new shocks on, but that's not a project I was looking for!

Any thoughts?

My Buick rendezvous had an uneven issue, but it was in the rear. My drivers side rear was higher than the passenger side, or however you want to look at it, as far as which side was what, but the passenger side rear was quite a bit lower than the drivers side rear. I had it looked at and it was a suspension issue with the springs as I had the air ride suspension that never worked lol.

I never fixed the problem, because the buick wasn't worth it honestly, but I would definitely look at the suspension first and try ruling that out before anything else. Just my opinion!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Shocks are not springs. I keep wondering why people think they are. :crazy: Many of them have some pressurized gas inside that means you have to press them together to install them, but it's only 5-10 pounds of force. 5-10 pounds is not going to make more than 1/16" difference in ride height.

Check it carefully with a tape measure on a perfectly flat surface. Measure from the ground straight up to the top of the wheel well opening metal lip.

If you're certain it's only the front, and only the passenger's side, and the upper strut mount and lower control arm don't seem bent, then it's a sagged spring. Many offroaders, myself included, have to replace springs every year or two because overuse or constantly banging them into the bump stops (such as a pothole could do) will eventually cause them to deform and sag.

Not always easy to replace the spring with the EXACT replacement part because GM used about a dozen different stiffnesses depending on exactly what engine, drivetrain, and options the vehicle was built with. If it's time for new front shocks, just buy two of the same kind of spring, or use Monroe Quickstruts that come with a new spring, and slap those in and don't sweat the fine tuning.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Like Roadie said....springs are the ride height of the vehicle....shocks and struts are what compress and decompress to take the abuse that uneven and bumpy roads give ur truck. So if u have worn shocks and hit a bump or something you'll "bounce" more than normal and feel like your truck is "floating". So yea you've prolly got a worn out spring cuz that's your ride height and your sitting uneven.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online