Parts washer parts?

JayArr

Original poster
Sep 24, 2018
Mission BC Canada
Hi All

I've got to wash and clean all of the parts out of my 4L60E transmission and my parts washer is filthy.

I'm currently running the solvent through a sand bag to remove the oil but the primary filter on the outside of the pump box is clogging up and considering it's 20+ years old I think it's time for a new one.

I've got parts on order to do the oil filter retrofit but that involves filtering the solvent after the pump - on it's way to the outlet. This filter I'm talking about is behind a metal plate with holes in it that slides onto the outside of the box that holds the pump, it's a coarse input filter, it's actually referred to as a 'screen' in the parts diagram.

Is there some cheap material I can buy to replace this first filter to keep large particles out of my pump? Has anyone just used a scotchbrite pad in there?

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
Filter pads available here:

JayArr

Original poster
Sep 24, 2018
Mission BC Canada
Thanks Coolasice, I'll keep that as a last resort, $37 plus freight and tax for a filter pad is a little steep for a weekend warrior.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I know what you're talking about as I have the same thing. What about a generic foam filter for air conditioners? Or the foam filter for wet/dry vacuums that goes over the regular filter? You could cut to size and you'd have extras. Could also double them up for extra filtering.

If you want really good filtering, you could pick up a cheap oil filter (Fram), cut it open, cut the media to size, flatten it out and put it in the holder. May filter too well and prevent the solvent from reaching the pump though.

Which reminds me I should drain out, clean and replace the solvent in mine. :redface:

JayArr

Original poster
Sep 24, 2018
Mission BC Canada
If the filter is too good or clogs too fast the flow into the pump cavity is restricted and the pump starves and the flow stops. I think the oil filter may be too restrictive. I hesitate to use foam since the solvent may break it down over time which may clog up or damage the pump impeller. I want oil to pass right through it but bits of rust, dirt and road debris to be kept out. I think I'll wander around Canadian Tire later today and see what I can find.

JayArr

Original poster
Sep 24, 2018
Mission BC Canada
I found this in my garage. I use it as a filter in my downdraft paint boot. I think it's originally for furnace filters. I'm going to slice it up and put four or 6 layers together and see if that works.

Attachments

• PB230006.JPG
    PB230006.JPG
    627.3 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher