Parts needed for 08 rear bumper swap

richphotos

Original poster
Feb 26, 2016
St. Louis Park, MN
I am swapping to an 08 rear bumper on my 04.
My dumb a** thought it was just a straight forward swap. take old off, put new on
But it seems that its not so simple?
Someone who has done this, what parts were needed?

Looks like I may be taking another trip to the yard.

Appreciate all the help.

Last edited:

richphotos

Original poster
Feb 26, 2016
St. Louis Park, MN
So it seems I will need the left and right side bumper bracket and the support that bolts in the middle since the 04 bumper is a step down and the 08 is not.
Is this correct?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Depends if you're trying to go to an LT bumper or staying with an LS. The LT has the different headlights without the crossbar and a lower space between the bumper and grill. The regular LS bumper, grill and headlights should be the same. In fact, I used the grill and crossbar from my 02 on my 07.

richphotos

Original poster
Feb 26, 2016
St. Louis Park, MN
Depends if you're trying to go to an LT bumper or staying with an LS. The LT has the different headlights without the crossbar and a lower space between the bumper and grill. The regular LS bumper, grill and headlights should be the same. In fact, I used the grill and crossbar from my 02 on my 07.
Oh biscuits, seems I forgot to include this is the rear bumper. Not the front, sorry. I will edit my post

• Haha
Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Haha. No problem. Can't help with the rear. Could have been some changes during the years.

Reactions: richphotos

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I also thought they were direct swaps, except for the center brace to fill in the gap for the center step. Guess I learned something new as well

Reactions: richphotos

richphotos

Original poster
Feb 26, 2016
St. Louis Park, MN
I also thought they were direct swaps, except for the center brace to fill in the gap for the center step. Guess I learned something new as well
Threw me for a loop too. 08 has notches at the top/sides that snap onto the bracket I guess. Listed as 05 to 09 used that design.

It would still work and mount up but to do it right you need a couple parts from the donor. Going back to the yard soon.

Here is links to the parts and their numbers if anyone needs for future.

Last edited:

gm4ever

May 11, 2023
missouri
Threw me for a loop too. 08 has notches at the top/sides that snap onto the bracket I guess. Listed as 05 to 09 used that design.

It would still work and mount up but to do it right you need a couple parts from the donor. Going back to the yard soon.

Here is links to the parts and their numbers if anyone needs for future.

Do you really need those side brackets, or can something be fabricated?

richphotos

Original poster
Feb 26, 2016
St. Louis Park, MN
Do you really need those side brackets, or can something be fabricated?
You could easily make something similar out of the old brackets and a couple smaller bolts (like 8mm)
But the newer style brackets are abs plastic vs metal like the older ones is the main reason I did not go that route.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online