SOLVED! Parking lights problem

Trailblazen04

Original poster
Jul 3, 2014
Dalton ga
Hello nation i am a new memeber with a bit of a problem.i have an 04 ls trailblazer and when i test the socket for front parking light turn signals with a multimeter it shows continuity to ground on each wire. Also when i turn on my emergency flashers the tag lights flash as well. Ive checked alot of wires to make sure theres not short but havnt found anything. I was hoping somebody could suggest what else to test. Thank you

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
If you unplug the 194 bulbs from the front corner turn signals, do you still have the issue?

Trailblazen04

Original poster
Jul 3, 2014
Dalton ga
Unplugging it has no effect. If i run the emergency lights with out the front turn signal bulb in the socket the tag lights dont flash. Also the rear brake lights seem to back feed into the rear turn signal bulb with the emergency lights on

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Check the ground at the driver side D pillar and wires in the boot in the tailgate.

Do you have LED bulbs in any locations? Or are they stock bulbs?

Trailblazen04

Original poster
Jul 3, 2014
Dalton ga
The only led bulbs outside are the headlights and fog lights if i put leds in the turn signal it blows the parking lights fuse as soon as i hit the turn signal switch. Thank you but im not quite sure which 1 is the d pillar.

The video is showing upside down for some reason idk how to fix it.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
So if you don't have the 3157 bulbs in, things behave OK? Is this the case with just 1 bulb out, or do both have to be unplugged for the tag lights, and tail lights to behave normally?

For current and future reference, go to this thread and download the wiring diagrams for our platform, they will help chasing down issues like this.

Reactions: mrrsm

Trailblazen04

Original poster
Jul 3, 2014
Dalton ga
Yes without both 3157s in it acts normal. Thank you for the tip about the diagrams. I have another issue i assume its a computer issue though as randomly all my warning lights turn on and the fuel,oil pressure, temp and battery gauge die. But i dont think that has to do with the parking light issue.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I had your other electrical issue happen to me a long time ago. Turned out to be one of the battery terminals not being tight enough, and it would sometimes lose connection while driving. Whole cluster would light up, needles would zero out and door chimes go off. Then they would come right back.

How's the wiring look at the front sockets? Any damaged insulation that you can see? Any corrosion in the bulb contacts? Next I'd try disconnecting the 3157 sockets from the wiring harnesses, and then check the continuity of the individual pins. That would rule out the sockets themselves, since that's where both signals come together and you said LED bulbs cause your fuses to blow right away.

Trailblazen04

Original poster
Jul 3, 2014
Dalton ga
I pulled the front sockets and some of the harness off a 2002 junkyard tblazer due to mine being all nasty from using t taps to some previous led stips i had installed. I triple checked all the wiring the colors are matched up perfect. When i continuity test the pins in the 3157 socket all show continuity to ground until power is supplied to turn or parking light. Also my battery cables are as tight as they can be thanks for the suggestion though.

Trailblazen04

Original poster
Jul 3, 2014
Dalton ga
So do i need to cut the harness off a same year or later tb? Or is it just the socket the bulb plugs into as the socket can be unplugged from the harness

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Easier solution is just buy a pair of SRCK 3157 bulbs, and you're good to go. But if you wanna change those sockets, you can do that too. The harnesses should be fine.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
You're partially correct. Inandescent bulbs don't care, they just let the current flow from contact to contact. In your case, the path of current isn't mapped correctly anymore. Instead of going from intended source, to ground, you're sending the signal from intended source, to unintended source, which is lighting up everything on the parking light circuit when your turn signal comes on.

Here's a diagram for reference.

PIC.gif

Trailblazen04

Original poster
Jul 3, 2014
Dalton ga
Hey sorry i know this thread is old already but i wanted to let you guys know i finally figured out my problem. The trailblazer i got the harness from did have the ck wiring is my guess. I had to flip the ground wire and the turn signal wire on the 3 pin connector and that resolved my issue. I always forget to check the simple things first lol.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online