parking brake wheel cylinder leaking? 2008 Trailblazer 4.2l 100k miles

sashainwy

Original poster
Nov 7, 2022
Wyoming
I'm starting a full brake job, fresh pads, rotors, and brake fluid for my mom's 2008 Trailblazer 4.2l with 100k miles.

I see a lot of dampness on driver side rear assembly. Looks like wheel cylinder is leaking. Video shows the leaky side, and the non-leaky side. On a side note, I've only done drum rear brakes before.

Do y'all agree that it's the wheel cylinder leaking?

Thanks for any feedback/advise.

sashainwy

Original poster
Nov 7, 2022
Wyoming
The park break is purely mechanical no cylinder, possibly a leaking axle seal
Thanks for the confirmation. I was starting to get that impression after looking at parts on RockAuto. Which makes sense, one wouldn't want the e-brake depending on hydraulics. Well fooey. I'll look closer. I really hate the idea that it's axle seals at 100k miles. I've seen great lakes TBs on youtube with 250k miles, half rusted away, and no axle seal leaks. Humbug.

sashainwy

Original poster
Nov 7, 2022
Wyoming
Closer look, and some more reading, it has to be the axle seals. Driver side is leaking fast enough to drip down onto the e-brake shoe and rotor-drum. Passenger side isn't dripping yet, but I can clearly see oil and dirt buildup. Will call around for axle seals in the morning.

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
Closer look, and some more reading, it has to be the axle seals. Driver side is leaking fast enough to drip down onto the e-brake shoe and rotor-drum. Passenger side isn't dripping yet, but I can clearly see oil and dirt buildup. Will call around for axle seals in the morning.
check the bearings.. might as well do them if they are worn so you don't have to pull the shafts twice.

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Is it me or those seals look like non-OEM being orange? Looks like Timken. However, agree, it's the seal that's leaking. Time for new seals and shoes. No wonder they were holding like a greased pig.

• Haha
Reactions: sashainwy

sashainwy

Original poster
Nov 7, 2022
Wyoming
Is it me or those seals look like non-OEM being orange? Looks like Timken. However, agree, it's the seal that's leaking. Time for new seals and shoes. No wonder they were holding like a greased pig.

Picked up new shoes, diff cover gasket, and 75w90 syn from autozone.

Got the seals from the dealer. They're orange. Is that bad?
1669252726083.png

Reactions: BrianF and Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I don't think they're bad. I was just mentioning it in case they had been replaced once already. They probably get them from Timken anyway.

sashainwy

Original poster
Nov 7, 2022
Wyoming
So I shoved the axles inward like I've seen people do on youtube. I do see additional gap being created on the c-clip side, but the c-clips do not have enough room to drop out or be pulled out.

I see some search results say "get a big hammer or prybar". Researching a bit more before I resort to BFH.

EDIT: After searching gmtnation, I see that I need the BFH. Going to find my sledge to give some love taps.

EDIT2: Couple of small swings with an 8lb sledge on each side, clips dropped out. Prybar in the gap between the two axles (in the diff housing), spread them apart to the point where I could slide the axles out!

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Sometimes they just need some encouragement with a magnet too as the oil stiction keeps them in place. But a BFH always works :biggrin:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online