Parking Brake Rubbing

tr23

Original poster
Jan 28, 2014
The parking brake shoes are rubbing on the rear disc/drum's. Both sides started at exactly the same time. I tore into the left side, and found the spring/clip loose, not holding the shoe at all. I bent it a bit to maintain some tension, but I cannot stop the rubbing sound, even with star screw adjusted to the minimum. The sound stopped completely when I pulled the shoe and reassembled.
Anyone experience anything similar?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Could it possibly be the metal dust shield rubbing on the disc?

tr23

Original poster
Jan 28, 2014
I don't think so - when I pulled the shoe, spinning the wheel was silent. I sanded down all the rust I could on the dust shield lip and within the "slot" on the disc, but it doesn't seem to be a factor with this sound.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Maybe the cable pulling too much? Have you tried the adjuster at the lever? It could be pulling too much on the cables.

tr23

Original poster
Jan 28, 2014
I'll try that. I thought the shoe activating mechanism was fully retracting but I could be wrong. I'll look into that. Thanks Mooseman

tr23

Original poster
Jan 28, 2014
I'm still fighting with this. Moose's idea was good, but wasn't the issue.

I have a question....should I hear the brake shoes rubbing at all when I free wheel the hub, if the star screw is properly adjusted?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
When first adjusted, a little, same as old fashioned drum brakes and they eventually wear in a bit and stops rubbing. It should be minimal though.

tr23

Original poster
Jan 28, 2014
Thanks Mooseman. I have no experience with drum brakes prior to this. I did find I had no hand brake when I adjusted the shoes to have no rubbing sound. New rotors, hand brake shoes & hardware and new anti rattle clips on the pads, along with cleaning and lubing everything seems to have solved the problem.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
:thumbsup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online