Park Lamp DRL

Midnyteryder196

Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
okay guys need some input from the gurus.. @Blckshdw

Alright finally started to look at the park lamp drl mod.. its gonna take 2 relays, and some diodes, but im pretty sure it will work. just wanting to see what you guys thought.. i of course havent tested this yet, as im not really wanting to hack my wiring at my lights.. but i did have a customer ask about this as he wants his switchbacks to be the drl.

so basically, we are going to use a spdt relay to take the drl signal from the bcm and transfer to another relay, and still keep the full function of the headlights when using the switch or the auto function [basically the same idea as the fog drl i have done, except using the signal to power a separate relay] the 2nd relay will be a spst relay, and this relay will use the drl signal as a coil ground to send 12+ up to the front of the vehicle where it will be spliced into the park lamp wire at each main park/turn socket.

the park lamp wire will have to be cut and a diode installed before the splice of each drl wire. this in theory should make your front park lamps operate as your drl..

What do you guys think??
Park Lamp DRL Relay.jpg

Reactions: Trkdrvremt

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I know one of the electrical gurus on TBSSOwners figured this out a couple years ago and people loved it. My brain is fried right now, lighting mod bug is passed out currently. :stars:

Midnyteryder196

Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
I know one of the electrical gurus on TBSSOwners figured this out a couple years ago and people loved it. My brain is fried right now, lighting mod bug is passed out currently. :stars:
i will see if i can find that over there.. thanks for the reply though carlton.. lol get some rest and come back to this when your refreshed.. haha

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
The control side is on point. The output side looks like it will work on paper but I haven't done anything like that myself so I can't say it with as much certainty.

Reactions: Midnyteryder196

Midnyteryder196

Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
The control side is on point. The output side looks like it will work on paper but I haven't done anything like that myself so I can't say it with as much certainty.

i had tested the 2 relay setup before while using my 32" light bar as the test subject.. it worked just fine in the driveway as i was testing.. im just wondering about the park lamp signal.. but having the diodes inline it shouldnt backfeed to the other lights.. so should be good to go. hmm.. i guess i will have to disconnect my fog drl to try this out.. lol

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I had that in my Saab stock and it burnt the lenses to shit. May be different with TB's because the lenses are much bigger and may be able to dissipate heat better. I'd recommend switching to LEDs.

I remember seeing a company build a kit that would do what you want, plug and play but can't find it anymore. I found this article that uses DRL modules.
http://www.allpar.com/fix/electrical/DRLs.html

Midnyteryder196

Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
I had that in my Saab stock and it burnt the lenses to shit. May be different with TB's because the lenses are much bigger and may be able to dissipate heat better. I'd recommend switching to LEDs.

I remember seeing a company build a kit that would do what you want, plug and play but can't find it anymore. I found this article that uses DRL modules.
http://www.allpar.com/fix/electrical/DRLs.html

dully noted.. i actually do make lighting mods for our platform for guys who dont want to make them on their own.. lol http://dmwalrad.wix.com/gmt-mods this is actually one of my customers who has pushed me to figure out the park lamp drl.
if i get enough time this week, i will test this out, and let ya guys know the outcome.

richphotos

Feb 26, 2016
St. Louis Park, MN
dully noted.. i actually do make lighting mods for our platform for guys who dont want to make them on their own.. lol http://dmwalrad.wix.com/gmt-mods this is actually one of my customers who has pushed me to figure out the park lamp drl.
if i get enough time this week, i will test this out, and let ya guys know the outcome.
Hey, I just got one of your kits to disable the DRL last week. Quick shipping and great instructions.

Good luck on figuring this mod out.
I think a lot of people would get it.

Midnyteryder196

Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
Hey, I just got one of your kits to disable the DRL last week. Quick shipping and great instructions.

Good luck on figuring this mod out.
I think a lot of people would get it.

Thank you and hope you enjoy the mod! If ya got facebook, you can drop a review over at facebook.com/dmwalradent

And I hope to try it tomorrow as long as I can get out of work at a decent time, so will keep this thread updated.

Reactions: Matt

Midnyteryder196

Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
So we are successful.. Park lamp drl is golden. Lol. The only pain will be running a wire from the rear fuse box, Up to the headlights to tap into the lower park lights. But tested and fully functional mod.

Reactions: MAY03LT

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I misread. I thought you were doing the TURN SIGNALS as DRL's, which is what is usually done. The park lights won't be bright enough in daytime as DRL's.

Midnyteryder196

Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
I misread. I thought you were doing the TURN SIGNALS as DRL's, which is what is usually done. The park lights won't be bright enough in daytime as DRL's.
It could be applied to turn signals also... Then they would be bright enough. Will make note of that. Thanks moose

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Only thing different is that it would have to flash when you put on the turn signal. That's the stickler.

Midnyteryder196

Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
The reason it was brought up though was bc he had switch backs and wanted the white Park lamps to be drl, then still turn Amber when turning.. So really it would be a great mod if you do switch backs at same time, being the brightness doesn't change, just the color.. Sorry just thought of all this..

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That would work.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
My "switchbacks" are white/white, what do you think the result would be?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.