Parasitic Draw.. 1998 Suburban

Nhebayer

Original poster
Jul 28, 2019
newport nh
Hi... First post,

1998 Suburban... new to me. came to me with a bad motor. Got it fixed and it runs awesome. But Battery goes dead over night sometimes. Appears to be timer related....

I have isolated the draw to circuit breaker A and fuse 3..... something to do with BCM and power locks. if I unplug the gray connector in the Courtesy center the draw disapears,,, So I believe I have it isolated to the power lock circuit. I snip the orange with to term D3 and draw disappears

My question.... got a few.

Does the BCM control this or does it have this Door lock module...Module Asm,Dr Lock Control 12135083? I pretty sure it has this module... could this be my draw.... where is it located in my Suburban?

To replace the lock module... does it requier any programming... or is it just plug and play?
How about the BCM?

I didnt get any remotes with this truck... but Im sure it has that feature.

Thank you for your help.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Welcome to GMT Nation...

It looks like you have already done the Hard Part and isolated the Short to Ground Module as GM Part # 12135083 ...which as you suspected... is the Door Lock "Remote Control Module". This is a Discontinued Part from GM...However... You might get Lucky if THIS one still works as available over on eBay for only $25.00. Be advised... OTHERS are LOOKING AT IT RIGHT NOW...

If you manage to grab it... You might get lucky with a simple R&R... Just make certain to disconnect the Battery and allow the Electrical System to calm down and "go to sleep" for around 30-60 Minutes before performing the R&R. It is likely that yours has Short-Circuited due to weather exposure over the years..and since these OEM Items look to be 'As Scarce as Hen's Teeth' ...getting your hands on THIS one will be half the battle. Hopefully... it will not require using a Tech2 and TIS2000 SPS PASSTHRU to add it as a recognizable module to the PCM-BCM hardware. This is what is available:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338077216&icep_item=183824819921

1998suburbandoorlockmodule1.jpg1998suburbandoorlockmodule2.jpg

While you're at it... Consider getting this Pair of Key Fobs for the 1998 GMC Suburban for around $15.00 and when following the "Keyless Entry Re-Learn Procedure"... Perhaps you'll be able to sort out BOTH issues:

GMCSUBURBANKEYFOBS.jpg

This Last Item is the Ignition A Circuit Diagram for the 1999-2006 GM Trucks... so it may NOT be the exact schematic as yours is in the 1998 Suburb... but may still be useful is describing the layout of what needs to be looked over:

99-2006IGNITIONACIRCUIT.JPG

Oh... Almost forgot the Most Important Thing... GM OEM "Hard Copy" Shop Manuals... This is only one of few sets of Service Manuals available on eBay that will go a very long way towards helping you when working on a 22 Year Old Truck:

1998GMOEMSERVICEMANUALS.jpg

Last edited:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I can about guarantee the ignition circuit will be different because 99-06 truck uses the 5.3 LS based engine and all that newer stuff, while the 98 Burban is the older small block 5.7L. GM likely changed everything because new and reasons lol.

Reactions: mrrsm

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
This 95-98 GM Truck Chassis Wiring Schematic may be a bit closer to the mark:

1995-1998GMTCHASSISWIRING.gif

This After-Market Wire Location/Color for Hook-Up information may help if the Suburban has an After-Market Keyless Entry set up that is confusing things:

"It is Better to Light a Candle... Than Curse The Darkness.. or those Who Keep On Searching for The Matches..."

Last edited:

Nhebayer

Original poster
Jul 28, 2019
newport nh
Thank you for all the feedback... I have purchased a brand new board for the module NOS. Now I just need to find it. LOL
Ill report back with results. I hate it when threads have no conclusion.

Reactions: Redbeard and mrrsm

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Over the years... the contribution of the Complete, Digital Service Manuals set up by @Mooseman have probably grounded thousands of us in need of the GM OEM Factory Service Manuals for complex Repairs.

While I cannot swear that the one for your Full Size 1997 Suburban Truck will be nested among them, Please Visit THIS link.. .and at the very least, grab the FREE Download of the one added to the Manual Database by @Reprise that is closest to your own vehicle and peruse it for anything useful. There just might be some more helpful information hidden within such a Great Resource to suit your present and future repair situations:

Jtfrankfort

May 26, 2020
Midwest
Not sure if you ever found the location if this part, but for others looking for it, it is located behind the trim on the c pillar on the driver's side.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online