Painted wheels?

groundshock

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Just seeing if anyone had some pics of painted wheels.

I've seen the Plasti-Dip stuff and that's great, but I'm looking to do something more permanent on the early 5-spoke 17's I just bought. Pretty much sold on black, but wondering if anyone had any other pics laying around.

Thanks dudes.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
I personally do not have painted wheels but this SS I see around school all the time painted theres and it looks awesome, has a really nice glossy to them and seems like there holding since he made it through a winter...heres a picture of the SS (sorry if its not the best)

OUSS1.jpg

JosueLT

Nov 20, 2011
Not the same platform, but here are my old Colorado 17" ZQ8 wheels I sprayed in regular automotive basecoat/clearcoat. I'm a body man, so it cost me nothing. lol

104_0267.jpg

104_0529.jpg

104_0335.jpg

Geeds1.jpg

Brewer1.jpg

Durability wise, I would do this again for sure. They were painted for over 2 years, went through 1 winter, and still cleaned up awesome when I sold them. Only a knick or 2 here and there. I'm looking to paint the wheels on my Mazda6 Wagon, but I'm going to give Dupli-Color wheel paint a try. Cheap still, and I've heard good things about it's durability too. The only issue I had with the ZQ8's, was the gloss. You pretty much need to constantly have tire shine on there or else it looks like total shit. lol

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
How much would something like this cost usually?

JosueLT

Nov 20, 2011
Probably a few hundred I would say, but a task this small seems like one a smaller operation would bang out for a good deal.

Paint is pretty expensive nowadays. :yes:

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
JosueLT said:
Probably a few hundred I would say, but a task this small seems like one a smaller operation would bang out for a good deal.

Paint is pretty expensive nowadays. :yes:

Good paint is expensive for sure!! But if its a few hundred for all 4 rims then that isnt crazy bad...but if its that much per rim then damn lol I wonder if anyone has there rims color matched? Because mine are right now and I love how it looks (just not the style I have). Color matching looks good on the lighter colored cars

JosueLT

Nov 20, 2011
It'd be for all 4 I'd say. Some people can find powdercoaters to do their wheels for $50-$75 ea though. I'm just not convinced of the durability. I always thought PC was supposed to be absolutely bulletproof......well, not BULLET bulletproof, but you know what I mean. lol I've seen and heard things that dispute this though, as well as there being an ongoing debate as to if the baking temperatures of the process weaken the wheels?

And yea, color matched wheels aren't very popular, are they? I guess it depends on the color/wheel choice.

theloko61

Dec 4, 2011
I spray painted the stock ones on my ss myself, back in Jully 2011 and they been holding pretty good.
I know the winter wasn't that bad, but i did go take the TB to the carwash just about every weeken..
Here are some pics..
View attachment 20002

Attachments

• IMAG0057.jpg
    IMAG0057.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMAG0058.jpg
    IMAG0058.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 7
  • IMAG0062.jpg
    IMAG0062.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMAG0063.jpg
    IMAG0063.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 6
  • IMAG0064.jpg
    IMAG0064.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMAG0065.jpg
    IMAG0065.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 6

bmartinezx3

Apr 6, 2012
i plastidipped mine cause a friend had some left over cans. taped a circle off in the center caps because i thought all black would be really boring. they held up pretty good except for when i got new tires, but i think that even paint would mess/get scratched with all the machine of taking of tires. so for $7 a can i think plastidip is the best choice here is a link of a pic of my truck http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n146/bryan_martinez13/IMAG0146.jpg
im getting my bumpers/hood and some clear coat redone and the painter said he normally charges $50 per wheel to paint them. but thats a local body shop not some big time custom shop or dealer

sLAsh

Jan 26, 2012
I would do plastidi p if you want a cheap quick change and powder coat if you want something permanent. IMHO paint isn't worth the expense if you are paying someone else to do it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kabah

Members Online