Paint my stock rims or keep 'em stock?

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Hey all,
So coming up soon is some more modding on my side once I get the time. I'm debating whether I should paint my stock rims or keep them polished (My center caps are coming back on soon). Ideas??

ed1c3629.jpg

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Try Plasti-Dip if you don't like it peel it off lol its very popular on TBSSowners I have contemplated but never pulled the trigger.

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
It's popular here too , maybe will go for the same color as my Bowtie :tongue:

Shdwdrgn

Dec 4, 2011
My rims are the 16", but here's what they look like painted...
One thing to keep in mind - if you black out your rims, that chrome push-bar is going to stick out from the rest of your vehicle.

View attachment 18134

Attachments

• IMG_5585.jpg
    IMG_5585.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 23

Bub

Nov 21, 2011
I think the wheels look dope already maybe black bow ties on the center caps and loose the running boards. I painted my stock wheels a few years back, unless you powdercoat they are gonna look like shit after a few winters.

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Shdwdrgn said:
My rims are the 16", but here's what they look like painted...
One thing to keep in mind - if you black out your rims, that chrome push-bar is going to stick out from the rest of your vehicle.

View attachment 3079

I was gonna purchase the same exact guard for my TB but wasn't sure how it was gonna go with my color! now I know lol! I didn't think about it that my bull guard stick would out but you're right. Maybe I'll just stick keep it stock for now and color the centercap bowties to match the rest. :thumbsup:

Bub said:
I think the wheels look dope already maybe black bow ties on the center caps and loose the running boards. I painted my stock wheels a few years back, unless you powdercoat they are gonna look like shit after a few winters.

I'll color match them with the other boeties I modded which is dark grey. As for the running boards can't really lose them cuz my wife uses them alot and myself especially when holding our 5 month old daughter. lol! I'm changing them though cuz the stock looks shitty! i'll probably get them installed in a week or two and gonna be something similar to this

westin_sure_grip_aluminum_running_boards_27-6140-27-1495.jpg

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Those boards look much better :thumbsup: or you could go with nerf bars, they'll match your bull bar.

[EBAY]250977197530[/EBAY]

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Short Bus said:
Those boards look much better :thumbsup: or you could go with nerf bars, they'll match your bull bar.

[EBAY]250977197530[/EBAY]

Yeh nerf bars are cool too! Fletch09 has the same bars and they look gooooood! :biggrin: Definitely another option! :biggrin: paycheck is one week away :wootwoot: Here we get paid at the end of each month :mad:

fletch09

Nov 20, 2011
fadyasha said:
Yeh nerf bars are cool too! Fletch09 has the same bars and they look gooooood! :biggrin: Definitely another option! :biggrin: paycheck is one week away :wootwoot: Here we get paid at the end of each month :mad:

thanks. my bars are gm accessory bars. got a deal on them from where i bought my TB.
check w/ High Voltage, he made the center cap bowties in vinyl for my winter rims. (same rims as you have) he might even have the size still programmed.
you could have sets of different colors, and change them up as the mood suits you.
IMO, leave rims as they are. (matching the bull bar)

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
fletch09 said:
thanks. my bars are gm accessory bars. got a deal on them from where i bought my TB.
check w/ High Voltage, he made the center cap bowties in vinyl for my winter rims. (same rims as you have) he might even have the size still programmed.
you could have sets of different colors, and change them up as the mood suits you.
IMO, leave rims as they are. (matching the bull bar)

Thanks fletch, I think yeh i'm gonna stick with stock color and change the bowties. I used vinyl for my front bowtie and door bowties so will match the center caps with the rest! There's a local guy that does them here too. It's "Cut" for sure just not Machine cut :redface:! talk about carving skills come handy sometimes :rotfl:

Will post updated pix once get the new bars / boards and new vinyls

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Good choice. I dislike the painting stock rims so they look spares thing.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Oh dang preview of things to come lol
IMAG0219.jpg

TexazReece

Dec 4, 2011
Nice, I'be been thinking about powdercoating my stock polished wheels to charcoal grey:undecided:.....Damn phone won't let my post pic of my stock wheels :mad:

Outlaw_99

Jan 23, 2012
Bought me a semi gloss black kit from rimpainter.com .. I'll post pics when I get it finished up..

JPZ

Dec 4, 2011
I painted mine years ago. I used to use them for winter wheels. The paint held up fine. Just take the time to prep them. I sold the 20s and only run the stock wheels and I am surprised how well they held up. For only 20 bucks I wouldn't think twice.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher