Paint looks the same, codes vary btw years 2002-2008

SSdriver3

Original poster
Sep 17, 2017
Hillsboro, OR
Hi Everybody, I have a 2008 LS and a couple 2002's that are Dark Blue Metallic. It looks to be the same color but the codes are different.

Heres the info I have gleaned so far:

2002 Trailblazer LS

U 9792=Exterior color

39U : PRIMARY COLOR, EXTERIOR, DK ADRIATIC BLUE MET (94)

Touch-up paint code results fr GM (Indigo Metallic)

OEM PAINT COLOR CODE WA9792

=======

2008 Trailblazer LS

U 403P=Exterior color
(Color Code: 37U/WA403P Imperial Blue Metallic)???

37U= EXTERIOR COLOR, PRIMARY (DARK BRIGHT TEAL METALLIC) (92)

Touch-up paint code results fr GM (Imperial Blue Metallic)

OEM PAINT COLOR CODEWA403P

Thanks for any help you can give, hoping someone here has the ability to look this up and tell me the differences in mixtures if any.

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
I would take both paint codes to a local autobody supply shop's in your area and have them check the mix formulations. Places that actually mix paint, not just sell them off of the shelf. Places like;

https://sherwin-automotive.com/home

https://www.ppgpaints.com/store-locator

You can try to contact some companies online about your specific ingredients, but I highly doubt they'll give you info fearing that you may possibly work for someone else or you may be a part of some sort of lawsuit/investigation. You may even have a difficult time while in one of those mixing stations, but it's definitely worth a shot.

I have about 60 paints left in my collection from when I used to do bodywork, but I do not have either of the two codes you've listed. I'd give you the specifics on the labels if I did though...

The following pic is an example of just one "custom mixed paint" (non-auto production) I have that was on the front row of my shelf, showing the mixing requirements.

Attachments

• 20181214_094126.jpg
    20181214_094126.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: Blckshdw

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
The mixing formulations could have a very slight difference between the two codes. So slight that you really cannot tell the difference in shades when looking at the two finishes separately, but would tell if they were sprayed on the same panel or vehicle.

Example; Code WA8555 is a GM black...that has a slight amount of "Yellow" mixed in it.
Although not too noticeable in black, it's different than Ford's black that has a slight amount of Green mixed in it. You can't really see the difference separately, but spray the two side-by-side on the same vehicle and put it out in the sun. The slight shade differences will jump out at you.

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online