Paint Chip/Rust Fix?

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Got a paint chip on the tailgate. I want to patch it effectively and spray over with the factory paint. I am not concerned how it is going to look, I just want to patch it so it doesn't spread any more. What is the best way to approach this?

qkEydvC.jpg

davenay67

Jan 16, 2012
That's potentially a lot more serious than just a paint chip.

I'm no dentist, but the same holds true for tooth decay and rust. If you don't get it all, it will continue to fester away underneath whatever repair is made. So, you need to rub/grind down to bare metal so that you see NO rust. I had a similar looking spot on my front hood, and by the time I was done I had ground complete holes in the leading edge of the hood. The metal was impregnated with rust all the way through, because the rust originated from the rear and the damage was complete by the time you saw it from the front.

I hope yours is different, but be prepared that the rust started from the back of the tailgate.

I also had a Jeep windscreen surround in the same bad state of repair. I fixed both in the same way:-

- Remove all rust
- Apply rust remover of your choice
- Patched the hole with metal epoxy; sanded until super smooth. you can, and would typically, use Bondo....but I needed the extra strength and support of the metal epoxy. Plus, it sands downs beautifully smooth, which is the whole idea of Bondo too. Bondo is a better option for larger repairs where the panel cannot be replaced.
- Prime
- Paint
- Apply rust inhibitor to the back of the repair. I used WaxOyl but there are plenty of brands on the market.

If you just have surface rust then you use all the steps above with the exception of having to fill a hole with epoxy or some other method.

Here is the rusty Jeep windshield frame.

After cleaning and rust removal....

After patching with metal putty, but before prime and paint....

I have more pictures of the whole process, but these show the process in a nutshell.

It's been years since both of these repairs and rust has not come back on either due to good prep and the application of the rust inhibitor wax.

Good Luck..!!

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Very enlightening. However, when I noticed the chip fall off (I peeled it off myself), there was no rust under it. This spot has now gone thru winter, which is why it now has rust. I think it is surface rust only, but yeah I'll see what can be done about it.

davenay67

Jan 16, 2012
DenaliHD66 said:
Very enlightening. However, when I noticed the chip fall off (I peeled it off myself), there was no rust under it. This spot has now gone thru winter, which is why it now has rust. I think it is surface rust only, but yeah I'll see what can be done about it.

That's great if that's the case.

Just sand/rub lightly to remove all signs of rust. If you get to bare metal use a rust killer, otherwise, you can simply clean the area and paint. A tocuh-up brush is probably the easist, preferably a base color coat and a clear top coat.

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Welp its more severe than previous thought. Its pretty much all the way under the liftgate where they crimped the metal on the inside. There is also another moisture bubble on the right hand side, same place where the other paint chip occurred. I was quoted $450-$500 for a complete fix of the lower ~5 inches of the liftgate. I think it sounds about right, I just hope it lasts since rust is not guaranteed against.

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
This is a very common issue on GMs and Chryslers. Threee of the doors on my TB had door skin rust as did the tailgate. My HHR has it too. Yes, they can "fix" it. but it'll jut come right back. You're best off grinding as much of it out as you can, treating it with navel jelly, then with POR-15.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
My tailgate was so bad I wound up replacing it. Got lucky and found a brand new one from GM at a good price that was dented in a spot that wasn't noticeable just under the wiper.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online