Pad replacement front and rear. What else should you replace when doing pads?

GeoGoGo

Original poster
Dec 29, 2015
Upstate NY
Hi Everyone,

Time to replace the pads on my 07 LT 4x4. I am going to go with the NAPA Adaptive One Ceramic pads. I have read a lot of good things about them. What else should I replace when doing the pads?

Thank you all in advance for the input! Have a great weekend!

GeoGoGo

Original poster
Dec 29, 2015
Upstate NY
Ok. Is there any pad hardware or slide pins I should replace? I didn't think about the ebrake shoes. Is there a hardware kit for that?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Pins should be good unless a boot is ripped and/or a pin is seized. It's always a good idea to replace the shims. Most pads come with them. There is no hardware kit for the park shoes. Unless they are down to metal or damaged, they shouldn't need to be replaced. They shouldn't wear unless you drive with the park brake on.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I'm in the middle of this same job myself. Since I've got a rattle on the passenger side, I did purchase new e-brake shoes, and can't wait to see what I find when I pull the rotor from that side. I actually use my e-brake when parking (since the lever is in the 'right' place) :wink: and I can tell the passenger side isn't really engaging. Now that I see how the thing is assembled on the other end, I'm betting that I'll find the shoe off the mount on the passenger side.

There's a 'cylinder' between the two ends of the shoe / adjuster wheels. Looking to see if / how that would be serviced / replaced (like in the old drum brake days) Thankfully, there aren't spring assemblies to take apart / reassemble.

Sorry for the hijack - at least it's on-topic :smile:
Oh - and I went with Napa all four corners, too (adaptive one up front). Planning a fluid replacement at the end, too (separate thread, since I have questions about doing it 'sans helper') ...lol.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online