P1484 code (fan clutch)

Gump2773

Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
So, my TB is now a JET. It sounds like I could take flight at any time now. Had the code read as P1484. So what I need to know is, can someone with very little mechanical knowledge change the fan clutch themselves with the correct tool? Or does taking it to a mechanic serve better? If taking it to a mechanic what type of cost could I be looking at? Im in a bit of a time crunch as I leave for vacation on friday and dont want to risk driving 1000 miles with this problem.

n0kfb

Dec 8, 2011
How far are you planning on driving for vacation? If you can deal with the noise, fix it when you get back.

If you need the name of a good garage, I've trusted Beach's Long Lake Service in New Brighton for over 15 years. If you go there, feel free to say that I recommended you.

-- Dan Meyer :coffee:

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
Gump2773 said:
So, my TB is now a JET. It sounds like I could take flight at any time now. Had the code read as P1484. So what I need to know is, can someone with very little mechanical knowledge change the fan clutch themselves with the correct tool? Or does taking it to a mechanic serve better? If taking it to a mechanic what type of cost could I be looking at? Im in a bit of a time crunch as I leave for vacation on friday and dont want to risk driving 1000 miles with this problem.

It isn't really all that hard to change it yourself, as long as you know how to turn a wrench. All you have to do is get a loaner tool for taking the fan off the water pump pulley, all it really is is a large wrench, 1 1/4 inch I believe ?.? After you get it you have to undo the fan from the pulley, disconnect the wiring on the shroud that goes to the fan clutch, unbolt the fan shroud and remove both pieces up through the top.

Then you remove the bolts that hold the fan to the fan clutch and off it comes.

Once you have the fan off the clutch just reverse the order and throw it all back together. Easy peasey, Japanesie....

Really, it is not very hard and you should have no problem doing it. If you do just throw up question and someone here will be glad to help you, im sure.

One note, I know on some it was but not sure about the TB but the threads on the fan clutch to the W/P pulley were left-handed threads...

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
IIRC, the fan clutch nut is a 36mm, that would be closer to 1 7/16", and it is a standard right hand thread.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
There are loaner tools available, and many members have fabricated brackets and straps and wire thingies to hold the water pump pulley from rotating while they removed the nut. Some folks have gotten so frustrated with this process that they take a couple of days to fight with it. Some folks have had to resort to using an air chisel on the nut to get it moving. :eek:

What works well for me and others is to use a sharp impact. Get a LARGE Crescent (adjustable) wrench that fits the nut, then whack it with a BFH. Carefully, since there's lots of sensitive stuff nearby. The friction of the serpentine belt on the pulley can't resist a SLOW pull on the wrench, but it provides enough force to counteract a whack.

When you install the new fan clutch, use anti-seize on the threads to make it easier next time.

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
Wooluf1952 said:
IIRC, the fan clutch nut is a 36mm, that would be closer to 1 7/16", and it is a standard right hand thread.

+1 I knew someone would know the size, I was close.... lol

xtremeskier97

Feb 11, 2012
I'm about to do this tomorrow morning. I like the anti-seize tip. Definitely will use that!

I've seen a post here or there mentioning thread direction. I just want to be completely clear on this so I'm not wasting my time going the wrong direction.

Is it reverse thread or not on this fan clutch?

BTW, I'll be putting an '08 clutch in mine and dealing with the SES light until I get to where we can go a week without the truck to get the PCM flashed/tuned by PCM4Less.

Thanks!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
The only mentions of it being a reverse thread are people who have never taken it off and are surprised how hard it is. EVERYBODY who has taken one off confirms it's a normal thread. You can be confident we all know what we're doing.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online