P0495 after replacing fan clutch

Rendoll911

Original poster
Feb 1, 2018
Vail
I just replaced my fan clutch after intermittent p0495 codes for high fan speed and the infamous jet plane take off sound on acceleration. Got a fan clutch and water pump from advanced auto. Today new clutch is worse than the original! Loud as hell and threw the same 0495 code within 15 miles. What is going on? This is so frustrating!

Rendoll911

Original poster
Feb 1, 2018
Vail
Did i get the wrong part? I just noticed this says electric

Attachments

• IMG_6212.PNG
    IMG_6212.PNG
    93.8 KB · Views: 13

Eric04

Dec 3, 2014
West Michigan
Did i get the wrong part? I just noticed this says electric

What did they give you? It's absolutely an electro-viscous fan clutch and usually runs about $130 online and up to $200 locally. Even if they did give you the correct part, many brands are suspect quality, with Hayden being about the only aftermarket brand people here feel they can trust.

Eric04

Dec 3, 2014
West Michigan
The code returning that soon after being cleared pretty much says you got a dud the first time around. It happens, and too often on the jobs that are kind of a PITA.

My replacement clutch does roar at cold start but calms down fast and works fine otherwise. Good luck with the next one man.

Rendoll911

Original poster
Feb 1, 2018
Vail
Thanks for the input. That's what I was afraid of but looks like I'll be a fan clutch master after this second install

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
For clutch brands, the quality of part store house brands and Dorman are about the same quality as Chinese tacos. As mentioned, Hayden is the go-to brand.

Rendoll911

Original poster
Feb 1, 2018
Vail
Update. Bought a Hayden off amazon. Popped her in and I'm STILL DRIVING A CROP DUSTER! Sometimes the car performs like it should and sometimes I get the high fan speed code and engine roaring. Seems like every start up is a roll of the dice. If the fan clutch is operating normally and I turn off the engine, it's a 50-50 duster/SUV. If It's running well and I don't turn off the engine then it usually continues to run properly.
I'm unsure what path I should take at the point. This has been a frustrating introduction to Chevy SUVs. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Try unplugging the fan. If the roaring stops, then it is a problem with something controlling it. Try replacing the fan relay with the one for the headlights. They're the same.

Reactions: Eric04

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.