P0455 followed by P0496

Robmoo

Original poster
Jan 24, 2012
Fort Worth Texas
First I had the P0455 error code. It went away when I shut the vehicle off, but then 4 days later the check engine light came on and I have a P0496 code. The only problem I've noticed is that when warm the engine can be a bit difficult to start. The fuel cap seems to be on tight.

How should I go about trouble shooting this issue?

Thanks!

KEEBZ489

Jan 16, 2018
Howard Beach NY
P0455 , you can try blowing out the solenoid , its easy to get to on the driver side near where the gas filler neck comes down. for P0496 you can pop the line off and see if there is suction. its located on the drivers side of the engine , behind the thermostat

you tube has how to's me personally , i just installed new ones.

Last edited:
Reactions: xavierny25

Robmoo

Original poster
Jan 24, 2012
Fort Worth Texas
I replaced the bas cap with another OEM and no dice. I watched some videos to locate the evap canister and purge valve. The rubber on the gas system is old, but no obvious tears or leaks. I have a skid plate that blocks access to the canister. A leak is probably the purge valve not closing anyway. The purge valve is easier to reach anyway. So it will be the next part that I replace.

jhenry999

Jun 28, 2015
Mine had the same problem. Just solved it! Just added to my thread "STARTS LIKE OLD MAN GETTING UP IN THE MORNING'...... Read my whole thread.

You found it...you just don't know it yet. Bet its a BAD PURGE VALVE, its the one in the front mounted to the block...NOT the VENT VALVE by the cannister.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher