P0442 where to look before bringing it in to be smoked?

Petey

Original poster
Aug 27, 2012
My 06 threw a P0442 code the other morning after a 200 mile trip back from NH.

Which has higher probability? Canister Purge valve or rotted pump/sending unit. I know it could be anything but you were a betting person where would you look first?

Clues

Traveled down a road with a lot frost heaves (glad I got the new Bilsteins on it on all 4 corners) Maybe something got jarred loose or broke.

Filled it with gas half way home and I thought I smelt gas more than usual. But thought it was from the car next to me.

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan
I would roll the dice on the gas cap. remove it and reinstall it, clear the code, and see if it comes back.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
:iagree: Gas cap. If the remove/reinstall doesn't help, I'd pull out the mini parts shotgun and replace it. Cheap and easy.

I've never seen a GM leak at the solenoids itself (lots of Hondas though) but it could happen at the connection points. Can happen with the fuel pump/tank top with rust. Without smoking it, you'd pretty much have to drop the tank to confirm.

Petey

Original poster
Aug 27, 2012
I took the cap off, checked it and put it back on and reset the light, we'll see what happens. I also stopped by the place that I bring my work cars too and inquire about getting it smoke tested, and he told me me chances are its the purge valve if its a GM guess they are known to go and not seal.

Petey

Original poster
Aug 27, 2012
I reset the light and it stayed out for a while(ran a successful evap test) but its back again.

I took the purge valve off and hooked it up to 12v, its working and sealing fine.

It could be the gas cap. The fuller pip does not look healthy at all, a lot of crust and the ground strap is rotted off. If that is not it right now it will be soon.

How are the aftermarkets? Should I looked for a used one out of a southern truck instead?

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
If you think of of it... Can you get some closeup images of what everything looks like down there and post them up in replies when convenient? The concealed poor condition of the Bonding Strap could become an issue during the cool and dry months when everything suffers from "Static Electricity Sparking".

Small h/j...

During Fuel Ups... especially under very cool and dry weather conditions... the concern is that it can take around 40-60,000 Volts DC at low amperage for Static Electric Sparks to jump through a 1/4" Air Gap at Sea Level. Most people don't think about this Danger being real and every present when around their Fuel Filler Necks being next to Metal Surfaces... However... Mother Nature will prevail to edify the unwary.

One day... An Australian man heading out for a Job Interview managed to set his house on fire after donning a Wool Shirt under his Nylon Jacket. The Built Up Static Electric Sparks from his Shoes ignited the Flammable Fibers in the Carpet as they jumped the similar Air Gaps. So this phenomena is everywhere and quite a common problem. Your decision to deal with the Broken Fuel Hose Ground Wire right away makes perfect sense.

"When the Student is Ready... The Teacher Emerges..." Confucius

Bow_Tied

Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
To fully eliminate the gas cap put some grease or Vaseline on the o-ring. But I really suspect either the filler pipe area or an evap line and/or connector near the gas tank (which always seem to be the case for my GM vehicles, every damn one). If so count on needing a new connector too. I have in the past just cut it all out and put in brass compression fittings and a new section of line. G/L

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online