NEED HELP P0222, P1482, limp mode

dj16ryan

Original poster
Dec 11, 2015
WASHINGTON, NC
Bro in law has a 2005 trailblazer ext 5.3 v8. Keeps throwing codes P0222, P1482 and randomnly going into limp mode. Have been reading other forums/posts similar but havent come across the 2 codes together. By the summary of all posts from every forum that i have read, i can only assume that this has to be related to the 5v power source between the tb and fan. Any insight or info on this would be gladly appreciated!!! Thanks!

Uploaded the pics of the code reader with the codes and description.

Attachments

• 2088.jpg
    2088.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 2087.jpg
    2087.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 6
Last edited by a moderator:

freddyboy61

Dec 4, 2011
Yes the 5V reference voltage is common to the fan clutch and throttle position circuits. On the I6 engines, it is usually the wiring harness going to the fan clutch that has abraded against the radiator support and shorts out the reference.

dj16ryan

Original poster
Dec 11, 2015
WASHINGTON, NC
So on the v8 engine, where does the issue normally occur? By visual inspection everything seems to be intact and in one piece with no wear spots on the wiring harness. Could the fan clutch be going bad and causing the "limp mode" issue? After getting the codes read at lunch time today the check engine light went back off without clearing the codes. It is definitely and intermittent problem. Most of the time when it goes into limp mode is shortly after starting it, after putting it into gear and before leaving the driveway. Then there are the occasions where you could go a day or more without an issue.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
There have been instances where the fan itself failed and shorted the 5V reference circuit. You can disconnect the fan and see if it clears up. It shouldn't overheat at this time of year but keep an eye on your temps.

BTW, welcome to the Nation!

dj16ryan

Original poster
Dec 11, 2015
WASHINGTON, NC
Awesome, thank you for the information. Will try that and see where this leads to. Will try the for a week or so and get back to everyone with the findings.

dj16ryan

Original poster
Dec 11, 2015
WASHINGTON, NC
Okay guys, tried to run the tb with the fan clutch unhooked, and still no success. My bro in law decided to replace the throttle body, still no success. We have even gone as far as replacing the pedal position sensor, and yet still no success. So, my assumption would be it is the fan clutch at this point. Any input would be great. Thanks.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Well no, it's not the fan clutch itself since you unhooked it.

Found this post that gives a good place to look for the P1482. Could be the relay. Try swapping it with the one for the headlights.

For the P0222, I found this thread which wound up being a loose connector wire.

JDawg

Nov 15, 2016
Savannah Ga.
Yo Mooseman, any help on an 05Envoy Denali code c0161??

Had th no crank/no start issue..I repaired it, trans slipping in o.d. couple drives after...tried the "tcm wake up" pull fuse/replace...now its "limp mode", took and had reset or reprogrammed and still in limp mode! Getting frustrated after 2 weeks on this, and I refuse to give up and let a shop fix my truck. I have enough mechanical and electrical sense to get it. But just falling short of knowledge on these Envoys. Im a new member and any direction would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!!

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
C0161 has nothing to do with going into limp mode. How does this even relate to the OP? Are you getting any other codes? Try resetting the PCM and while you are there may as well clean the TB.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher