P0018

JCJARHEAD

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
I recently changed my ECT while I was doing the thermostat......worked great in that my gauge is now straight up at 210.....had been a couple clicks shy for a little while.

Bad news is ....after a couple of days...I am now getting a sluggish response on the gauge triggering the check gauges light.

When I start it up it does not move but about 5 minutes of drive time and it comes on and goes to normal.

I did check to ensure I had not doubled up on the little insulator inside by accident. It also clicks solidly. Could I have damaged the wore when screwing it in? Got a bad
one?

either way I dread the thought off messing with the alternator again to replace the ECT.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
More likely to be the thermostat. Were they cheap? Warrantied?

Gird your loins (old guy talk for "sack up") and just swap 'em again. Messing with the alternator is easier on the wallet than paying a professional to take the frustration.

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
Definitely sounds like a sticking thermostat. Even new/new-ish ones do it. :hissyfit:

Take off the radiator cap and start the engine when it's dead cold. Ideally you shouldn't see the fluid moving much at all. If you do that would confirm a stuck-open thermostat. :thumbsup:

Reactions: JCJARHEAD

JCJARHEAD

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
thanks for the input guys! I will buck up and do it again before the snow flies......I should be quicker given that I have now done it a couple of times.

Yup....bought a Stant TStat from AAP. Same one that was in there....oh well......mfg errors happen I guess.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ramblinjon

Members Online