NEED HELP P0017 CPAS replaced. and still have the code

yazan

Original poster
Jul 11, 2013
Hi.

Got a p0017 it was pending for some days. "Car gauge pro app" And now it's currentcode and the ses light on.

So I cleaned the cpas with carb cleaner . screens was ok. But it has that dark color.

So after cleaning . I erased the dtc codes. And it's back a gain after 2 days..

So I said its time for new cpas.

Cpas replaced. Battery disconnected for about 1 hour while doing the job.. Code erased.

And I have the code second day

Any ideas please.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_٢٠٢١٠٢٠١_١٩٣٩٤٨.jpg
    IMG_٢٠٢١٠٢٠١_١٩٣٩٤٨.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I would also recommend doing an engine flush. Also pull out and clean the cam sensor. If the engine wasn't maintained properly with regular oil changes, the cam phaser might be damaged. I have seen this first hand (from previous owners).

Reactions: yazan

yazan

Original poster
Jul 11, 2013
its time for the complete story
i had 02 tb ext lt , lot of problems
then i found this envoy xl 2005 sel with dead transmission with low price and it was looking good m exterior and interior , so i feel some hope : its time for new vehicle

so i bought the enoy and swapped the transmission from my old tb to ev , works fine ,
the owner said he had to use 20w50 oil , i know its heavy .
i was using 10w30 in my tb regarding to weather condition where i work in saudi arabia "extremely hot",
so i changed the envoy oil to 10w30 with filter , and coolant and air filter ,
i don't know if the pre owner had that code before selling the ev !
i have a can of liqui moly engine flush plus . i think its time to use it , instructions says one can for up to 6lt of oil , so i will get another can ,
now the new cpas installed , iam afraid its will clog or effected after flushing the engine ,

what do you advise me ? go for 5w30 or stay with 10w30 or back to 20w50 as the preowner used it for years ?
another question ... after swapping the tranny , no codes , except this one , should i have case relearn ?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I would not use an additive. A long time ago, we had a member use an additive that screwed up the variable valve system. An engine flush that is used just before doing an oil change is all you need to do. Follow the directions. Unless you are talking about THIS flush?

This engine is sensitive to the oil viscosity. 20w50 is a definite no-no. 10w30 shouldn't affect it but just in case, use the recommended viscosity according to the owners manual, usually 5w30.

Reactions: Mektek and yazan

yazan

Original poster
Jul 11, 2013
I would not use an additive. A long time ago, we had a member use an additive that screwed up the variable valve system. An engine flush that is used just before doing an oil change is all you need to do. Follow the directions. Unless you are talking about THIS flush?

This engine is sensitive to the oil viscosity. 20w50 is a definite no-no. 10w30 shouldn't affect it but just in case, use the recommended viscosity according to the owners manual, usually 5w30.
yes its same product / but this is newer i think
Add Engine Flush Plus to the motor oil at running temperature before changing the oil. After adding the product, allow the engine to idle for approx. 10 minutes. Then change the oil and the filter.

i will add the 2 cans while idle in the workshop for 10 minutes then change the oil to 5w30 with filter

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
This is not the official protocol but I drove for an afternoon with the flush in. Just low rpm city driving to give it more time to work. If it doesn't have enough time to work it will be a useless effort.
If you have a lot of deposits builtup from the lousy oil you might need to do this.
Why was the PO using the heavy oil? Oil consumption? Engine noise?
With an always hot climate a good synthetic 10-30 or 10-40 should be OK. Correct cam advance depends on the oil being able to enter and exit the solenoid at a certain rate. If the oil is too far off the GM spec you could have problems.

Last edited:
Reactions: yazan

yazan

Original poster
Jul 11, 2013
Why was the PO using the heavy oil? Oil consumption? Engine noise?
With an always hot climate a good synthetic 10-30 or 10-40 should be OK. Correct cam advance depends on the oil being able to enter and exit the solenoid at a certain rate. If the oil is too far off the GM spec you could have problems.

iam not sure why , the engine was running smooth and perfect when i bought the car , now i have strong vibrating and hesitation, no codes exept the p0017 . i dont know if its related to the last engine oil change from 20-50 to 10-30

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
When I did my flush, I idled it for about an hour, no driving as that may damage the engine with reduced viscosity by the flush.

One old hot rodder trick is to replace one liter of the oil with transmission fluid during your oil change. The thinking is that the extra detergents in the tranny fluid will further clean the engine over time.

Reactions: Redbeard and yazan

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.