P0014

Robmoo

Original poster
Jan 24, 2012
Fort Worth Texas
My 2006 Envoy with 104k miles threw a P0014 code. The first time it went out right away. I checked the oil. I had changed it 5.5k miles ago and it was a couple of quarts short. I was trying to stretch my oil change intervals to the recommended 7.5k. Perhaps in this older engine that is a mistake. I changed the oil and cleared the code. I had no problems for about six weeks. Then the check engine light lit again and the wife complained of it stalling several times. I bought a Dorman VVT solenoid and replaced it. The old part had 9.6 ohms vs the new 8.8 ohms. Also, one of the three filters on the old part had come apart and half of it was gone. I'm not sure if 9.6 ohms is too far out of spec but with the torn up screen I thought that replacing it was best. The wire harness looks good. I cleared the code and took it for a spin with some local and highway driving and the code is gone. I have my fingers crossed. Hopefully the $40 part and an hour of my time fixed the issue.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Hopefully! However don't be discouraged if the part goes out again. Dorman is not the recommended manufacturer for this part, they don't do well with electric precision parts sometimes. If it goes out again get an ACDelco replacement.

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
Are you running synthetic or dino oil? With the 7 quart sump in our trucks, you can get more than 7500 mi from synthetic oil, as long as you keep the levels up.

Dorman is generally avoided around here as far as electronics. They seem to be OK for other parts, generally. For solenoids, relays, switches and sensors, you're probably better served by sticking to AC Delco if you can, as Mounce suggested.

Good Luck!

Chris

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan
I bought a Dorman VVT solenoid and replaced it. The old part had 9.6 ohms vs the new 8.8 ohms.
Like others posted be careful of non OEM electrical parts. The new ACDelco version of that VVT solenoid has that screen wrapped with a wire/spring (screenshot below).

The older VVT solenoid screens (before the upgrade) were very prone to pushed out (or in. I can't remember which way the oil flows through that VVT solenoid) by oil pressure. Which is why your screens were in pieces. Make sure your Dorman replacement has the new style wire/springs.

ACD VVT Solenoid.png

stvrob

May 28, 2014
check that the pcv orifice isnt plugged. If your throttle body is always gunked up, or if their is gunk in the air plenum all the time, that might be an indication that the orifice is plugged.

Robmoo

Original poster
Jan 24, 2012
Fort Worth Texas
Who recommends this?

I've read anywhere from 3k to 12k on the net. That manual says just to change it when the oil life indicator goes off, but I don't think that this works because it has never lit. My model doesn't have the DIC. It started it life as a fleet vehicle.

check that the pcv orifice isnt plugged. If your throttle body is always gunked up, or if their is gunk in the air plenum all the time, that might be an indication that the orifice is plugged.

I changed the plugs not too long ago and cleaned the throttle body while I was there. There was a bit of carbon build up, but it wasn't bad.

So far so good. the replacement part seems to be doing its job. If the vehicle starts throwing this error code again I'll go with an AC Delco part. The Dorman screen didn't have the wrap around retention springs.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The OLM is pretty good at giving a time to change the oil. If you want, the owners manual says to change it at least once per year or 5k miles (8k km) if the OLM has been accidentally reset. You could use that recommendation.

Reactions: Beacon

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online