P0014

Blackstar

Original poster
Aug 2, 2014
After having a couple problems with coils The old Envoy is running pretty good again. Fuel efficiency has dropped of but I figured it was because of the failed coils/plugs and some sooting up of the Cat. But a couple weeks ago I got periodic check engine lights. Sometimes one and then it would go out on it's own. Sometimes it would stay on until a restart. Then it's been normal again for the past week.

Just got a chance today to check the codes (it's been too cold around here to do much of anything) P0014. Camshaft Position “B” – Timing Over -Advanced or System Performance (Bank 1). One of the symptoms of this is poor mileage. But now it seems to be back to normal and my efficiency has improved slightly.

So the only questions I have is if this is a difficult thing to diagnose and if it happens again would I need a service tech? I have a basic code reader, (Autel Maxiscan MS409 ) Any suggestions are appreciated.

Aug 28, 2017
Georgia
Went through this same code a month ago,if your lucky like I was pull the Variable Timing Solenoid out and see if the screens on it are clogged up not letting sufficient oil pressure pass through.If you have never did it before plenty of videos on YouTube explaining how to remove and clean it.There is 3 separate screens on the solenoid protecting little holes oil passes through.Make sure none of the screens are missing,clogged bad enough it can suck the screens inside it.

Reactions: Blackstar

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Also check for oil in the connector, which indicates a failing CPAS. You can also pull and clean the cam position sensor.

Blackstar

Original poster
Aug 2, 2014
I would like to ad that if you are overdue for your oil change this could also affect it.
Actually I am overdue for an oil change. Got the oil and filter but it's been so damn cold here. Maybe I need to man up and change it. Thanks for the tip.

Blackstar

Original poster
Aug 2, 2014
Went through this same code a month ago,if your lucky like I was pull the Variable Timing Solenoid out and see if the screens on it are clogged up not letting sufficient oil pressure pass through.If you have never did it before plenty of videos on YouTube explaining how to remove and clean it.There is 3 separate screens on the solenoid protecting little holes oil passes through.Make sure none of the screens are missing,clogged bad enough it can suck the screens inside it.
I watched a video on this today. I will check it this week. Thanks for the tip

Reactions: flyinghigh1970

Blackstar

Original poster
Aug 2, 2014
Also check for oil in the connector, which indicates a failing CPAS. You can also pull and clean the cam position sensor.
Thanks. Will do the check and clean. Supposed to have some milder weather this week. Do I need gaskets or O-rings to remove and clean these?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
No, they're usually reusable unless damaged.

Aug 28, 2017
Georgia
I watched a video on this today. I will check it this week. Thanks for the tip
Mine was the VVT solenoid for the same code.My Envoy has 126,858 on it and the VVT was factory old style and 2 of the 3 screens were half inside the oil holes on the solenoid.My oil at the time of the code only had 2000 miles on it and I run Mobil 1 full synthetic.The newer style GM VVT solenoids have a better design to help keep the screens from moving,and it cleared my P0014 code.Even when you change the oil still pull the solenoid and check the screens.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.