NEED HELP Overheating

Homefree15

Original poster
Jan 27, 2018
Chicago
The car was overheating missing fluid. The mechanic said it was the radiator so they replaced that and we drove it home. All was fine drove it 30 miles out to eat and no problems. Then this morning started it and couldn't drive a mile without it overheating again and the same original problem. Fluid is leaking out underneath the car by the driver's side door. What could this be?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Can you see anything wet in the engine bay? If it's on the driver's side, and the radiator's already been replaced, I'd suspect the thermostat maybe, or the hose?

Homefree15

Original poster
Jan 27, 2018
Chicago
Can you see anything wet in the engine bay? If it's on the driver's side, and the radiator's already been replaced, I'd suspect the thermostat maybe, or the hose?
No nothing is wet in the engine area. It's leaking under the car by the back of the drivers side door.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
This link might lead you to what has gone sideways with the Coolant Lines that feed the rear passenger areas... and provide a fairly straight-forward Repair. If this turns out to be the problem... After doing the repair... Don't forget to make frequent checks on your 50/50 Dexcool levels in the Fill-Overflow Container... as some air may have invaded those lines going to and from the 'Nether-Regions’ of the SUV... and might need coaxing to burp the lines of any air.

It will help to have the heat turned on back there and encourage the transfer to the rear cabin... just to make sure it works and that the lines are not clogged up or blocked with detritus. If the Engine was seriously overheating... then a Mobil1 Motor Oil and Mobil1 Oil Filter change would be worth doing. Hope this helps:

https://gmtnation.com/forums/thread...aking-coolant-by-driver-side-rear-tire.13851/

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yours is an XL? It could be either the diverter valve or one of the lines that go to the rear HVAC.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Maybe one of them on the driver side. It's been a while. Still worth investigating.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Rear hvac definitely runs down pass. side. I have the rear panel off on the driver's side as I write this, b/c I'm working w/ the amp. So the rear heater core & plumbing is opposite. Which makes sense when you think about it, relative to where the plumbing crosses the firewall.

What makes it confusing is that the rear hvac IS on the driver side for the SWB, as I recall. Opposite of the LWB.

Homefree15

Original poster
Jan 27, 2018
Chicago
This link might lead you to what has gone sideways with the Coolant Lines that feed the rear passenger areas... and provide a fairly straight-forward Repair. If this turns out to be the problem... After doing the repair... Don't forget to make frequent checks on your 50/50 Dexcool levels in the Fill-Overflow Container... as some air may have invaded those lines going to and from the 'Nether-Regions’ of the SUV... and might need coaxing to burp the lines of any air.

It will help to have the heat turned on back there and encourage the transfer to the rear cabin... just to make sure it works and that the lines are not clogged up or blocked with detritus. If the Engine was seriously overheating... then a Mobil1 Motor Oil and Mobil1 Oil Filter change would be worth doing. Hope this helps:

https://gmtnation.com/forums/thread...aking-coolant-by-driver-side-rear-tire.13851/

THANK YOU!

Maybe one of them on the driver side. It's been a while. Still worth investigating.

Thank you so much! Very helpful.

freddyboy61

Dec 4, 2011
I came across this diagram some time ago, but I don't know what model years it is for. I believe the lines that run on the driver's side are for the AC and the other side is for the heat. My best guess.Refrigeration2.JPG

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I think they're pretty much the same all years. The only thing that changed was the connector type at the heater core.

The only other thing I can think of on the driver side is the heater crossover pipe that goes to the driver side of the block along the top of the bellhousing.

Reactions: Tiggerr

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online