NEED HELP Overheating issue with AC ON!

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Presently, I can't swear about how well (or ill) Ali-Express is handling their various Tech 2 Clone Vendors since THIS Thread documenting my own successful experience of making this purchase occurred over 5 Years ago.

Nonetheless, the Topic gets fairly well thrashed out in this link below and thankfully, many Members contributed their ideas and input about their own "Full Monte" purchase outcomes after buying a "GYMKO" Tech 2 Clone from the Chinese... @Mooseman ...in particular.

I have been VERY lucky and Verey satisfied with mine ever since.
My Clone Tech 2 System came with an OEM Bosch Vetronix Blow Molded Case, a High Quality Dongle along with all of the other Bells and Whistles. I've been using it from then on, including performing Bench-Top Re-Calibrations on various PCMs ...and I've never had so much as a *Bad Burp* coming from this Amazing Tool.

Back then, just before I "Pulled The Pin" to make this BUY, I told everybody who would listen to me that, "I Would Murder the World ... Just Get My Hands on a Tech 2 Clone..."

Of course, way back then, I said this in hyperbole just to emphasize how seriously interested I was in getting one of these Kits... and I STILL feel the same way...to this very day:

Reactions: ghost_leader07

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
HOWEVER, the Tech 2 is falling out of favour because of its age and that it doesn't support any vehicles newer than 2013. And it also no longer works as a passthrough to program modules via the ACDelco TDS. This thread talks about it and alternatives if you are ever interested.

Looking for input on a MDI 1 or 2

That GM fan clutch you posted is the correct one.

Reactions: mrrsm

ghost_leader07

Original poster
Dec 18, 2019
UAE
HOWEVER, the Tech 2 is falling out of favour because of its age and that it doesn't support any vehicles newer than 2013. And it also no longer works as a passthrough to program modules via the ACDelco TDS. This thread talks about it and alternatives if you are ever interested.

Looking for input on a MDI 1 or 2
OK thanks! I'll check it out.

That GM fan clutch you posted is the correct one.
@aaserv mentioned something about Amazon shipping a Hayden branded as GM/ACDelco part, I've checked the latest review on Amazon (July 31, 2022) and it appears like they do, Maybe it on Amazon for shipping in correct item? has anyone bought from RockAuto.com recently to confirm if they ship a genuine GM products?

aaserv

Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
has anyone bought from RockAuto.com recently to confirm if they ship a genuine GM products?

I bought my latest 1 from Rock Auto and its the new Mahle version of the BEHR. GM doesnt sell a made by GM clutch fan. They never did. The original fan that came with the car was BEHR.

Come to think of it, being in Egypt I guess its possible a GM dealer there would be more likely than 1 in U.S. to still have an old stock BEHR fan available in stock at the dealership. Going to be costly but if available well worth the cost. Have you ckd all the local suppliers??

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I bought my latest 1 from Rock Auto and its the new Mahle version of the BEHR. GM doesnt sell a made by GM clutch fan. They never did. The original fan that came with the car was BEHR.
Was that the EV or thermal? I think Behr only made the EV for GM.

Personally, I'd go with the Hayden thermal if the price was better than the ACDelco/GM.

ghost_leader07

Original poster
Dec 18, 2019
UAE
Yes I understand neither GM or ACDelco manufacture them the OE is made by Mahle/BEHR, what i meant is will i get Mahle/BEHR branded fan clutch or Hayden 2851? I'd hate to pay extra $30 and end up getting Hayden.

Come to think of it, being in Egypt I guess its possible a GM dealer there would be more likely than 1 in U.S. to still have an old stock BEHR fan available in stock at the dealership. Going to be costly but if available well worth the cost. Have you ckd all the local suppliers??
If you think dealers in the US are expensive you should check dealer in Egypt you'll be paying $800 for $50 (I'm not exaggerating) I'd rather risk it and buy it off online and do the job myself i'd still save loads of money.

ghost_leader07

Original poster
Dec 18, 2019
UAE
Personally, I'd go with the Hayden thermal if the price was better than the ACDelco/GM.
Regarding the pricing:

GM GENUINE 1540144 is for $100
24 Month / Unlimited Mile Limited Warranty

HAYDEN 2851 is for $79
12 Months / 12,000 Miles

I have a previous experience with Hayden products (installed trans cooler 679 and it's excellent) so I'm not really skeptical about them but I'd prefer not paying extra for the same part.

Last edited:

ghost_leader07

Original poster
Dec 18, 2019
UAE
has anyone bought from RockAuto.com recently to confirm if they ship a genuine GM products?

I've contacted rockauto.com support in attempt to confirm which one is sold as GM/ACDelco part and I got basically nothing lol

"Hello,

This is a GM part, as listed.
Thank you,

Ashley
RockAuto Customer Service"

I think GM GENUINE 1540144 is the way to go, surely I'll be getting an OEM product they can't sell an aftermarket part as genuine right?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It's not that RA would willingly sell an aftermarket part as a genuine GM or ACDelco part, it's just that GM don't make the majority of the parts they sell. They are rebranded from the original manufacturer, just like the Behr fan clutches. Bosch makes their fuel pumps, Raybestos makes their brake pads and rotors. Hell, they even use the same stock photos of the parts between them. I wish I could go in an RA stock room so I could take them all out and compare them to see who makes what.

Looking at the pictures on RA and elsewhere, the GM one seems to be a bit different with no space between the nut/shaft and the body while all others have a space where you can see the seal. Maybe the GM thermal is the original, whoever made it. Since the thermal was only used on the 08-09, there were less of those trucks produced and are less prone to failure (probably sell more to the 02-07 owners :smile: ).

ghost_leader07

Original poster
Dec 18, 2019
UAE
It's not that RA would willingly sell an aftermarket part as a genuine GM or ACDelco part, it's just that GM don't make the majority of the parts they sell. They are rebranded from the original manufacturer, just like the Behr fan clutches. Bosch makes their fuel pumps, Raybestos makes their brake pads and rotors. Hell, they even use the same stock photos of the parts between them.
True! and we'd have to pay a premium for GM/ACDelco sticker. I'd still be comfortable to knowingly pay for a GM/ACDelco branded part especially if the pricing is not way off. :celebrate:

Looking at the pictures on RA and elsewhere, the GM one seems to be a bit different with no space between the nut/shaft and the body while all others have a space where you can see the seal. Maybe the GM thermal is the original, whoever made it. Since the thermal was only used on the 08-09, there were less of those trucks produced and are less prone to failure (probably sell more to the 02-07 owners :smile: ).
Excellent observation! I can't believe I didn't notice it before. it will be a good indication once I receive it right out of the box!

I'll make sure to update after replacing the fan clutch.

Thank you very much @Mooseman and thanks everyone for your insightful input regarding my issue.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online