Overheating at low speeds

wstuckey1

Original poster
Apr 11, 2018
Fenton MI
The other day I was pulling a trailer with a transmission on it, later that day I was driving home from Meijer without the trailer and I noticed that my temperature was rising over 210 a considerable and concerning amount. Once I got onto a main road and could get some wind blowing through the temp dropped to 210 and stayed there till I had to slow down and accelerate again. When I got home I checked the dexcool and I couldn't see any in the reservoir in the engine bay, so I bought some dexcool and filled the reservoir, but it's still overheating when I'm not driving over 35 or so. Does anyone have an idea what's going on?

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I'd guess that if your reservoir was dry, that you have air in the system. Try a bleed. I can't tell you 'where', as I have the 5.3 - but it's going to be a high point on the engine. Have a little more coolant ready to go.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
:iagree: Burp the system. Fill the reservoir, take off the radiator cap and run the engine until it's at operating temp with your heater set at full and you can see the fluid flowing through the radiator. Top it off and you should be good.

Reactions: Reprise

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Reactions: Matt and Reprise

wstuckey1

Original poster
Apr 11, 2018
Fenton MI
I'd guess that if your reservoir was dry, that you have air in the system. Try a bleed. I can't tell you 'where', as I have the 5.3 - but it's going to be a high point on the engine. Have a little more coolant ready to go.
:iagree: Burp the system. Fill the reservoir, take off the radiator cap and run the engine until it's at operating temp with your heater set at full and you can see the fluid flowing through the radiator. Top it off and you should be good.
Thank you guys. I’ll do that this weekend. If I have any more problems I’ll post them.

Reactions: Matt and Redbeard

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Watch out on the Horizon for these issues as well:

(1) A Sketchy Thermostat.
(2) The Radiator, Coolant Reservoir and Heater Core are perhaps in need of Flushing & a Dexcool Change.
(3) A Dirty Transmission Filter & a Trans-Cooler Fluid Flush (Isolated flushing) to get rid of all contaminants.
(4) Checking and Spray Cleaning All Three Radiator-Coolers for Dirt & Debris Build Up.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javier perez

Members Online