Overcharging alternator

jlahood

Original poster
Jan 29, 2012
Alternator on my 07 Trailblazer is overcharging. It will run at about 14 to 15.5. Sometimes it will be at 12.5 to 13 which I think is normal. I noticed on long freeway drives it will eventually drop down to the normal range. Does overcharging cause problems? Does it effect how the fuel injectors work? Bad fuel mileage?
Thanks for your help.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
"Normal" is 14.4V

Sounds like it could be going bad. Or you have a slipping belt.

Do you have any aftermarket stuff, stereo, subs, amp, lighting, etc?

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
blazinlow89 said:
"Normal" is 14.4V

SHHHHH Don't say that!! LOL

I guess I have to add another TO DO on my already forever long TO DO list for the Envoy :crazy:

jlahood

Original poster
Jan 29, 2012
blazinlow89 said:
"Normal" is 14.4V

No everything is stock. I plan on replacing it, but it will be a couple of weeks. Just want to make sure it won't mess anything up by waiting.

Simon01

Dec 5, 2011
Are you going by what the dash gauges say? I wouldn't really trust their accuracy. If the alternator is really overcharging, I have seen batteries boil. If you think there is a problem with it, have it checked out at a shop or take it off and have it tested at Autozone or parts store of your choice.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
FWIW it could be higher voltage to charge the battery, but then on a long trip the battery reaches "full" so it drops the voltage some to a maintenance level. Just a thought.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
In my experience, 15.0V+ is never a reasonable number to see on a real meter. Dash gauge can lie. A scangauge that looks at the data stream is another alternative to having a real meter hooked up. But at $5 or less at Harbor Freight or Radio Shack on sale, there's no excuse for not owning a meter or two.

Since the voltage regulator is built into the alternator, the culprit is clear. A slipping belt can give you lower RPM and perhaps lower voltage at idle, but above 1000 RPM that's not a possible suspect. Slipping belt can never give you too-high voltage.

HTUSA

Dec 28, 2011
I have an 08 and the gauge will read 15+ volts. The scan gauge is only reading 13-14volts.
The dash gauge will settle down after drving long distances.
I am postive that the dash gauge is lying to us.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
That's why I was going with slipping belt, due to the factory gauges accuracy. The voltage regulator was my other guess, forgot to put it in my post.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.