Outside rear panel cracked/split?

Mike534x

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
Went outside to grab something from the garage and noticed this near the passenger side rear door. I know it definitely wasn't there a few days ago, and have absolutely no idea how it even happened.

I assume this isn't a DIY type of fix is it?
2ll89xd.jpg

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
If you can remove any interior panels to access the dent from the inside, you can then place a small 2x4 piece of wood (on the inside) and hit it with a hammer to push it out.

If you cannot access it from inside, drill holes in the center of the crease and use a slide-hammer to pull the dent.

Cheapest route for DIY:
After repairing, grind the area smooth and remove the paint from the affected area(s), fill the holes with bodyfiller, let dry, sand with 220 grit to get smooth, use progressively smoother sandpapers up to 500 grit, finish wetsanding with 600 grit, then paint.

Redneck route:
Apply filler, silicone, or bubble gum into the hole... call it a day :smile:

Mike534x

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
Any marks on the actual door? It seems like some one might of closed the door with something in the way. Just a thought.

No marks on the door which is the odd thing. It's hardly ever opened.

If you can remove any interior panels to access the dent from the inside, you can then place a small 2x4 piece of wood (on the inside) and hit it with a hammer to push it out.

If you cannot access it from inside, drill holes in the center of the crease and use a slide-hammer to pull the dent.

Cheapest route for DIY:
After repairing, grind the area smooth and remove the paint from the affected area(s), fill the holes with bodyfiller, let dry, sand with 220 grit to get smooth, use progressively smoother sandpapers up to 500 grit, finish wetsanding with 600 grit, then paint.

Redneck route:
Apply filler, silicone, or bubble gum into the hole... call it a day :smile:

My first thought was just applying silicone to it, but I figured it wouldn't look right, especially with the paint chipping away from that spot as it is. Main concern is rust with all the rain we've been having as of late.

What's odd is there is no dent at all, comparing the Driver/Passenger side everything still sits flush and doesn't seem out of place.

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
Main concern is rust with all the rain we've been having as of late.
What's odd is there is no dent at all, comparing the Driver/Passenger side everything still sits flush and doesn't seem out of place.

For me, I'd remove any cracked pieces, then tape a very small area/opening around the crack. Spray a light mist of primer in it, then remove the tape and apply filler or silicone to seal it from the elements...after the primer dries, of course.

You can even spray the primer into a small cup or something similar, then apply it with a thin model paint brush.

I thought the whole crease was made by an unknown object. If it's just the corner, you have an easy repair.

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
It kind of looks like bondo under the paint there and not metal? Was it previously repaired?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06_4.2_4x4_ls