Optimal temp for 4L60E.. do I need a cooler?

cstern71

Original poster
Feb 16, 2014
According to my ultra-gauge, I was getting a trans temp of 199F and an engine temp of 210F. This was in about 84F weather doing 75 mph on the highway with the AC on. I do not tow and do not expect to.

From my research, I'm seeing the trans should be about 100 degrees higher than ambient outdoor temperatures and I should try to keep it under 210F. I'm a little concerned I might be running into some higher trans temps when summer arrives.

Should I be looking at getting a cooler? I know it can't hurt, but I suppose I would like some input on how serious of an issue it is.

Dec 4, 2011
The temps you are running are not excessive or extremely good or bad. However what you need to remember is that Transmissions generate their own heat and can heat up in a hurry in the coldest of weather.

Please see this chart to give you some idea of the relationship between heat and tranny life.

heatchrt.jpg

So do you need a cooler. Maybe not, but for the minimum dollars and time involved why not buy some insurance. Your choice.

There are several threads with respect to coolers, and how to install them and what and where to get parts you may need to do the install. A little searching should turn up pages of reading, good luck

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
According to the vehicle manual, the normal operating temperature is 180°F to 200°F (82° C to 93°C)

cstern71

Original poster
Feb 16, 2014
I was seeing 165F or so in sub 30F temps during the winter. I suspect I will see some temps over 210F during the summer in stop and go traffic.

I guess I wanted to see if anybody thought this was a little high considering the outdoor temp. I thought it might be.

I'll add a cooler to the list of things to do.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
cstern71 said:
According to my ultra-gauge, I was getting a trans temp of 199F and an engine temp of 210F. This was in about 84F weather doing 75 mph on the highway with the AC on. I do not tow and do not expect to.

From my research, I'm seeing the trans should be about 100 degrees higher than ambient outdoor temperatures and I should try to keep it under 210F. I'm a little concerned I might be running into some higher trans temps when summer arrives.

Should I be looking at getting a cooler? I know it can't hurt, but I suppose I would like some input on how serious of an issue it is.

Give your tranny a new filter and replace the fluid with the new DexVI fluid.

Don't you have an oem stock cooler? Smaller looking radiator thing up front, ahead of the radiator.

A cheap tester will let you know if your coolant ratio is good.

EDIT: I saw 160some with tranny and 194F engine coolant after several hours driving sub zero

cstern71

Original poster
Feb 16, 2014
Playsinsnow said:
Give your tranny a new filter and replace the fluid with the new DexVI fluid.

Don't you have an oem stock cooler? Smaller looking radiator thing up front, ahead of the radiator.

A cheap tester will let you know if your coolant ratio is good.

I do not know if I have stock oem cooler. I assumed it was the built in radiator type.

Tranny filter and fluid is on the list. I'm going to source a deep pan with a drain plug and a deep pan filter when I do it.

Dec 4, 2011
cstern71 said:
I was seeing 165F or so in sub 30F temps during the winter. I suspect I will see some temps over 210F during the summer in stop and go traffic.

I guess I wanted to see if anybody thought this was a little high considering the outdoor temp. I thought it might be.

I'll add a cooler to the list of things to do.

I run a cooler year round and in the winter down to -40 temps and some folks will tell you this is running the tranny to cool. But in every vehicle i have owned over the last 45 years i have never had a tranny failure. (touch wood probably my head). This goes along with putting a drain plug in the tranny pan, and changing (not flushing) about 5/12 of the fluid on a regular basis (about 2 years or 25K miles). The reason for the drain is cleanliness and then i always change the filter at the same time. When i put in the cooler i completely changed the fluid (12-13 qt) and put in Amsoil full synthetic tranny fluid. This is not a testimonial for Amsoil just a suggestion to use a good synthetic of your favorite brand.

The cooler i have installed is a Tru-Cool 4589 with a cold temp bypass, seems to work for me.

Dec 4, 2011
Thought you might like to see an installed cooler.

attachment.php

This is in my 06 Denali. Not very difficult took about 3 hrs with the filter replacment and complete fluid change.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
:banghead: I knew that from replacing my radiator last fall. Time for bed.

:hail: The Roadie

cstern71

Original poster
Feb 16, 2014
RedEnvoyDenali said:
I run a cooler year round and in the winter down to -40 temps and some folks will tell you this is running the tranny to cool. But in every vehicle i have owned over the last 45 years i have never had a tranny failure. (touch wood probably my head). This goes along with putting a drain plug in the tranny pan, and changing (not flushing) about 5/12 of the fluid on a regular basis (about 2 years or 25K miles). The reason for the drain is cleanliness and then i always change the filter at the same time. When i put in the cooler i completely changed the fluid (12-13 qt) and put in Amsoil full synthetic tranny fluid. This is not a testimonial for Amsoil just a suggestion to use a good synthetic of your favorite brand.

The cooler i have installed is a Tru-Cool 4589 with a cold temp bypass, seems to work for me.

Cold temp bypass sounds interesting. I'll have to start doing some heavy reading and planning.

The list keeps growing. I have a lot to do to get the maintenance to the point I want it on this thing.

glfredrick

Jan 14, 2014
cstern71 said:
Cold temp bypass sounds interesting. I'll have to start doing some heavy reading and planning.

The list keeps growing. I have a lot to do to get the maintenance to the point I want it on this thing.

In Kansas City you probably don't have to worry about a by-pass for the cooler because though you do get cold temps once in a while, they don't hang around for months on end like us up nort' types.

If you are looking to low-buck the cooler check out Ford 1 ton vans. They have a plate cooler just about like the one that RedEnvoyDenali showed on his Denali. From pull-a-part one of those will run you about $10 or less and they really don't wear out. Just fluid going through them. I would make sure to flush a used one before running it though. Buying a plate cooler like that new would run over $100. The plate type are the most efficient but tube and fin coolers work ok as well.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online