Opinions needed on brake pads

rizzo20

Original poster
My brakes are squealing when I lightly apply the brakes. It's more apparent when I'm at a slow speed and just about to stop. Heavy pressure on the pedal makes the squeal go away. When I bought the Envoy a month or so ago the dealer said the rotors and pads were all replaced (look brand new). I pulled the pads off and lubed the slides and noticed they are semi metallic. I'm thinking about just putting ceramic ACD pads on it and keeping these same rotors. Any thoughts on whether this will get rid of the squeal or cause any issues since I'm not also replacing the rotors?

AWD V8

Jan 12, 2015
I've installed dozens of these pads over the years, on various vehicles as well as on all the family vehicles and EVERY one of them has remained quiet. The pads fit well, brake well, wear well and don't leave much dust on the wheels.
Adaptive_One_pads.jpg

I've never used anything on the back of these pads for noise. No lubrication or goop of any kind.

Most installs I've done were on unresurfaced rotors.

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
I've personally always had good luck with the NAPA severe service pads... low dust, good bite, good life.

Definitely get rid of the cheapo metallic pads they stuck on there. Ceramic are what was originally on there.

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
I've installed dozens of these pads over the years, on various vehicles as well as on all the family vehicles and EVERY one of them has remained quiet. The pads fit well, brake well, wear well and don't leave much dust on the wheels.
Adaptive_One_pads.jpg

I've never used anything on the back of these pads for noise. No lubrication or goop of any kind.

Most installs I've done were on unresurfaced rotors.

X2 on these pads. I put them on my Sierra last April and they have been excellent. I need pads on my HHR and they will be Adaptive One.

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
I agree on the pads.

I am also at a loss to understand the dealership installing the WRONG pads. The only pad specified for this platform is ceramic pads. I am left to assume it wasn't a GM dealership, and they just found the cheapest ones that would fit.

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
I will say this for semi-metallic pads, when I had my '03 TB I used semi-metallic because I tow a travel trailer. They just seem to be a better choice for heavy loads.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online