Operation: 97x Nav in a Envoy

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I am really surprised no one has tackled this mod yet. So I searched high and low for a BRAND NEW 97x Nav unit, and bought it.

The comparison is really not all that far off. I can tell I will have to trim a few things where the foward mounting tabs are, but it doenst looks like I will have to modify anything as far as the front veiwable area of the radio, or the dash assembly goes. I will know more when I get to the point of actually tacking this project in depth. Right now I am just pissed at myself for breaking my center console for a initial test fit/radio function. Now I have to work with my wife to find my Dremmel kit.

The 97x radio will work in a NON-LUX vehicle.

I also bought a factory CD Changer add in cable, and assuming I can find a cd changer used in the Escalades for a decent price, I will also see if I can add that into the system without much trouble.

Forward notes. The system seems to sound better than my factory 6 disc BOSE unit. Not sure why this is. The screen doesnt read GMC when I start the car, but it does read DELPHI. I bought 2 of the 97x Nav systems. I am also hoping to install one of them into my wifes Aztek.

I will be taking pictures of what has to be done for the mod to work on a Envoy. It may work across the models, but I only have a Envoy :tongue: .

Who else is interested in this? The guy I bought the 2 units from says he might be able to get more.. Vin Cleared, and brand new. for less than 500 shipped.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
I have factory NAV in both my 07 Rainier and in my 07 9-7x. The cutout for the nav on the dash is slightly different/bigger to allow the face of the 9-7 nav hinge out. I'm thinking nobody does this mod because at least for me I haven't bought a cd since 1991. I just plug my cell phone into the entertainment systems in both of our 360's and play slacker or pandora.

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Well.. So for this conversion is going very successfully. However, this is not something I would EVER offer for anyone faint of heart. If I knew how much cutting, and triming I would be doing on this BRAND NEW navigation unit.... I would NOT have done it. :crazy: .. This Nav unit, althou working perfectly, and with no outward apparent damage... Its not ruined, but ALOT of cutting had to happen to get it to work in the dash. Making new mounting holes, triming down the excess metal and plastic to let it sit flush... This took me 7.5 hours of many trail and error runs back and forth from the workshop to the Voy. Many Dremmel cutting discs, and 2 dremmels (1st one battery crapped out, second one, the power switch broke).

Anyways. I do have it successfully mounted and installed on my Voy. Once I let the VIN register to the radio, the splash screen did go to GMC powered by BOSE. And no joke people, there is something diferent about the sound that comes out of this Nav unit. Its louder, the bass is crisper, a bit less distortion at higher volumes, it sounds great! My BlueFusion crossed over into this unit perfectly.

However, not everything is all great... As it sits right now, I can insert CD's in the upper player. But the DVD/NAV Tray is completely inaccessable. With some very light triming of the Voy dash insert, I will have access to it again. However, I am not going to trim it until I have a spare for backup. All buttons are accessable, and the screen is clear of any obstruction.

I was hoping for this to be a write up, or a "hot to". But after all that, nope..

This thread will be a "it can be done, but its a LOT of work"

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Also give an explanation about why the 9-7x nav unit is superior to all the others in the platform. I know not everyone has a clue why it is so much better beyond the sound quality especially future new members.
[video=youtube;K4H6sWDi8Zw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4H6sWDi8Zw[/video]
Here's a youtube video showing it.

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
DJones said:
Where are the pictures?

On my camera... My card reader is built into my wifes computer, and the power supply went out when I booted it up...

It might be a few days before I can get some pics up. Have to track down a propriotor power supply..

Jkust said:
Also give an explanation about why the 9-7x nav unit is superior to all the others in the platform. I know not everyone has a clue why it is so much better beyond the sound quality especially future new members.

Do you know what the part number is for that radio? I would kill to put that in my 07 TB.

Thanks!

Steve

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Steve A said:
Do you know what the part number is for that radio? I would kill to put that in my 07 TB.

Thanks!

Steve

Before I reply with a part #.. I need you to understand that this radio will not fit into your dash, or radio bezel without a lot of cutting. And when I say alot, i mean ALOT. And that you possibly run the risk of cutting into circuit boards, or button panels, or putting dirt and debris inside the radio from doing the cutting actions.

Please read the third post of this thread for clarification..

These are the stock mounting tabs for the Saab 97x Nav Radio.
2012-02-24225212.jpg

2012-02-24225229.jpg

Everything on the front edges of the radio, metal, plastic, will have to be cut, trimmed, and modified. Plus more metal under the front face plate going around to the back of the radio, in order to clear mounting tabs for your radio bezel.

Also, none of the mounting bolt holes line up with the current mounting holes, and new ones have to be made into the braketry that does survive the alteration to fit.

This is what a stock Nav Radio is supposed to look like..

$(KGrHqR,!gwE7PlR14WHBO81)UhdzQ~~60_57.JPG

$(KGrHqV,!i0E7GIetIUSBO81wiZCdQ~~60_57.Jpg

See the diferences in the mounting brackets, well theres more to it than that. The whole faceplate is wider, the mounting tabs for the faceplate are in areas that have to be trimmed. This install is ALOT of careful maticulous work!

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Installed Pics...

Frontal power on...

P1010121.jpg

Button Clearance

P1010120.jpg

Left

P1010119.jpg

Right

P1010118.jpg

Top looking up

P1010116.jpg

Bottom looking down

P1010117.jpg

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Night Pics...

2012-02-26021659.jpg

2012-02-26021614.jpg

2012-02-26021525.jpg

Not sure why I have 2 lights on, on my 4wd controller..??

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
As you can see from the pics. it physically fits in the dash trim without cutting. However, this radio sticks out, because of its trimming, another 1/4-3/8 inch. This is causing a gap to be able to be felt on the top edge of where the AC controller is. Obviously its not veiwable unless you are looking up from the floorboards..

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Now that all the pleasant BS is over... The Part # for that radio, I beleive to be either 25904568 or 25845961. But I am not sure on the exact #. I just searched for a 97x nav radio, which is the same radio used in the Hummer H3 also.

I have been told that the one for the Hummer is a Lux version, and the 97x is a non-lux. I do not have a way to confirm that. The radio I installed into my XUV is a non-Lux and works perfect, but I did not write down the part # before installing it.

DJones

Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
It would seem that the internals of the radio could be swapped between each other, then no cutting would need to be done.

I have a Pontiac Sunfire radio here, and the mounting, chassis, and connections are identical to my stock radio - I'm replacing the bulbs with LEDs for a friend.

[EBAY]390393031260[/EBAY]

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
So it looks like you haven't trimmed the dash yet to let the 9-7x radio do the thing that makes it better...the front can't hinge down yet. You will need to be a master with the dremel to make the dash opening look oem once you get your spare dash piece.

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
DJones said:
It would seem that the internals of the radio could be swapped between each other, then no cutting would need to be done.

I have a Pontiac Sunfire radio here, and the mounting, chassis, and connections are identical to my stock radio - I'm replacing the bulbs with LEDs for a friend.

[EBAY]390393031260[/EBAY]

The simple answer to that would be NO...

The "cage's" are completely diferent, and the Saab's is slightly wider, taller, and doesnt have the step on the back side. Not to mention that the face is completely unique to the radio, and that it would not be able to be swapped because of the way the cage is designed. Looked into that as well..

Jkust said:
So it looks like you haven't trimmed the dash yet to let the 9-7x radio do the thing that makes it better...the front can't hinge down yet. You will need to be a master with the dremel to make the dash opening look oem once you get your spare dash piece.

I dont think expert would be entirely truthful. Skilled most definetly thou. With the bezel being pushed out 1/4-3/8 inch, and the Saab nav radio having its own trim peice around it, I think it would just be a feet to get the bezel the same size as the Saab radio, and I think it would look great, and be recessed to look factory. Will find out when I get the right radio bezel. Looking for a wood Radio Bezel, and Center Console, and maybe steering wheel and shifter.

the roadie said:
That's disturbing, and it's my favorite system in the vehicle. Recommend starting a new thread and let's troubleshoot it there.

I beleive its because I snapped a picture when I just turned the key on, as it was going thru its self check. When I checked it later, it did the same thing than went to normal..

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
TollKeeper said:
The simple answer to that would be NO...

I dont think expert would be entirely truthful. Skilled most definetly thou. With the bezel being pushed out 1/4-3/8 inch, and the Saab nav radio having its own trim peice around it, I think it would just be a feet to get the bezel the same size as the Saab radio, and I think it would look great, and be recessed to look factory. Will find out when I get the right radio bezel. Looking for a wood Radio Bezel, and Center Console, and maybe steering wheel and shifter.QUOTE]

Most of my precision dremel use has been on wood where it is a lot of trial and error and a catastrophic error just means a new piece. Plastic, finish work will be fun. As far wood tone stuff, the shifter knob is a nice, easy mod and anything else can be wood trimmed by one of the specialty companies pretty easily.
Given the 9-7 came out in 2005, I can't for the life of me figure out why all the 360's didn't quickly switch over to this head unit. It just makes so much more sense to not have to remove the nav disc to play a cd. Our Rainier has never had the nav disc removed for fear of scratching it to play one of my wife's cd's in her truck. 100% guarantee the nav disc gets scratched by our kids if it found it's way out. I need to make some extra's just in case.

02tahoelt

May 7, 2012
Do you have any updates of your install?
Do you have pics of the cutting necessary to put the radio in place and what you had to do to tabs to mount radio

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
No I dont have any updates. I was hopeful that it was going to be an easy swap. 5 hours later, its in my XUV, but it isnt perfect.

You pretty much have to cut off ALMOST ALL of the factory 97x mounting tabs, drill out the leveling tabs holes, and pinch bolt it into place. It works, and I love my Nav system. it is not something I recomend..

02tahoelt

May 7, 2012
TollKeeper said:
No I dont have any updates. I was hopeful that it was going to be an easy swap. 5 hours later, its in my XUV, but it isnt perfect.

You pretty much have to cut off ALMOST ALL of the factory 97x mounting tabs, drill out the leveling tabs holes, and pinch bolt it into place. It works, and I love my Nav system. it is not something I recomend..

I have a question, is it possible to just trim inside the radio/ A/c cover a little, and just leave the Nav disc in there and just forget about it till its time for an update. But you still have your CD with no problem. Am saying other having to cut the tabs of course.

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Thats the way mine is set up currently. Nav disc stays in (cant get the door open due to the Bezel). But I have a fully functional Nav system, and CD player.

No trimming of the bezel was required. If I was anal about it, I would trim a few minor things on the Bezel, to have a flush fit. But I am fine with the way it sits, it allows me to pull out the nav unit in about 20 mins, throw my old 6 disc in... In case the truck gets totalled or something.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.