OnStar upgrade

Ilikemy3s

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
I remember having to get the onstar system upgrades or changed out from Analog to digital a few years back. Never had a issue with it. So I find myself looking for another used GM truck and was wondering if there is a way to determine if the OnStar system in a vehicle was updated as I would like to get another.

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
The easiest way to tell is what kind of antenna it has. The old analog ones have the antenna mounted on the rear drivers side window. So if you face the drivers side directly, it is the window to the back, not the glass for the hatch.

If you have the ones where there is a stubby antenna on the roof near the A pillar, that is the newer digital setup.

Ilikemy3s

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
kickass audio said:
The easiest way to tell is what kind of antenna it has. The old analog ones have the antenna mounted on the rear drivers side window. So if you face the drivers side directly, it is the window to the back, not the glass for the hatch.

If you have the ones where there is a stubby antenna on the roof near the A pillar, that is the newer digital setup.
. My 04 Envoy had the round stubby antenna over the drivers side windshield. And it had to be upgraded. Never changed the antenna only the internals

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Old topic, just had some additional info on it.

If it has the antenna on the rear window, it means the system can't be upgraded. If it has the stubby antenna by the windshield, it means it already has the digital system, or can be upgraded to it. I also upgraded my 04 to the digital. You don't get all the options the newer ones have, but some.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.