Only shifts into 2nd gear.

coolride

Original poster
Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
There's an OK 2004 Tahoe for sale in my town. They are asking 2,500. The owner states that it needs a new transmission because it only shifts into 2nd gear.

Is this maybe an easy fix?

I doubt it needs a new transmission.

Reactions: rchalmers3

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Does it shift 1 to 2 and doesn't try any higher or does it slip/rev in 3rd? If it doesn't try to shift, it could be a solenoid or something like that. What does the fluid lóok like?

Reactions: rchalmers3

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Maybe someone who know transmissions better than I (which is likely anyone) can comment here, but looking at this would a 2-3 solenoid failure result in having only third and fourth gears and a 1-2 solenoid failure would result in having only second and third gears?

Screenshot_20210806-125334.png

rchalmers3

Jul 11, 2020
Irmo, SC
Does it shift 1 to 2 and doesn't try any higher or does it slip/rev in 3rd? If it doesn't try to shift, it could be a solenoid or something like that.
This. If third acts like it went into neutral, then you will have a pretty good idea if it needs a rebuild or not.

How is the vehicle condition otherwise? Will the sellers negotiate?

Rick

Nvarela64

Dec 5, 2021
Does it shift 1 to 2 and doesn't try any higher or does it slip/rev in 3rd? If it doesn't try to shift, it could be a solenoid or something like that. What does the fluid lóok like?
I know this is an old thread, but I’m having this issue. My 06 4.2L 258k 2WD miles envoy SLT won’t shift into third or higher. I can’t go past 25ish mph. Once I go past 25, the rpm shoots up but no increase in speed. I did drop the pan and find the magnet had a lot of metal shavings and oil was definitely old and dirty. I can’t speak to the maintenance history on the car, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it wasn’t taken care of - brother’s old car. I’m thinking it probably needs a rebuild as I’ve read it could likely be a burned out 3-4 clutch packs, or do you think the solenoids instead?

Got a $1800 quote for a trans rebuild and was planning on pursuing that for my car. I’m planning on getting the 4L60E-HD2 improvement kit to the shop when the times comes to improve the shift. Do you have any recs on a rebuild kit?

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: coolride

Jul 24, 2012
I had this issue, I guess I can't say for 110% sure it was the 3-4 clutch pack, but it probably was the 3-4 clutch pack. I didn't try the solenoids, but you can. At 258k miles, you may as well rebuild it, in my opinion. I started having troubles and tried chipping away at it, I learned a lot but in the end it would have been faster and easier and cheaper to just go ahead and do the rebuild. If you fix the just solenoids now, in 6 months the 3-4 clutch pack goes anyway.

Are you saying you would do a rebuild now and then sometime in the future do an improvement kit? If you are, I wouldn't do that, I would get it all done at once, the first time.

Really the only thing I asked the rebuilder was if he would do the upgraded sunshell. Otherwise I just went with what was he suggested. It's not like I was going to be able to check his work.

Cool kit is cool, but with the 4.2 in an '06, are you racing? I rebuilt the lower myself before the whole thing got rebuilt, I did upgraded pistons and separator plate. It was an interesting learning experience, but the only people I beat in a race off the line are the ones that don't know we're racing.

On the other hand, it's fun to optimize and improve.

The lower is pretty easy to get to if you just want to drop the pan and start poking around, and that's where the solenoids are accessible.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online