Only getting 160 miles on 25gal tank

pcharm129

Original poster
Aug 15, 2012
Screenshot_2015-08-23-01-45-41.png

I took these coming back from CT. Just snapped one every few seconds. Most are on cruise. 2 or 3 may not be. Couldn't record video sl i figured back to back shots were the next best thing... Thought these may help the thread get a better picture of what's going on. I have no idea how to interpret these...

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
On the last pic, your o2 1x1V graph is about what it should look like at cruise with a steady pedal, but still not where it should be.

On the other previous pics, did you take the screenshot after the screen was opened or was it opened the whole time? Reason I ask is when the screen is opened, it takes a fee seconds for the graph to fill in from right to left. If it was left open the whole time, then the upstream o2 sensor is either toast, or you are just getting u metered airflow or unregulated fuel entering the engine and it would appear to be unregulated fuel along with a bad o2 sensor.

So was the screen you have posted opened the whole time, or did you take the screenshot right after it was opened.

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
That upstream O2 looks wonky to me. That as obviously not gonna cause the kill in mileage totally but still looks wrong compared to mine.
That last pic looks better though.

pcharm129

Original poster
Aug 15, 2012
gmcman said:
On the last pic, your o2 1x1V graph is about what it should look like at cruise with a steady pedal, but still not where it should be.
On the other previous pics, did you take the screenshot after the screen was opened or was it opened the whole time? Reason I ask is when the screen is opened, it takes a fee seconds for the graph to fill in from right to left. If it was left open the whole time, then the upstream o2 sensor is either toast, or you are just getting u metered airflow or unregulated fuel entering the engine and it would appear to be unregulated fuel along with a bad o2 sensor.
So was the screen you have posted opened the whole time, or did you take the screenshot right after it was opened.
The screen was already open. I just held the phone in hand and snapped a shot every few seconds. Doing that at various speeds...

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I'm not a pro at reading those graphs but they don't look right at all. I just don't know what to make of it on how to correct it :frown:

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I took your screenshot and paired it with mine which are in the blue. When the upstream O2 sensor detects more oxygen it will richen the mix, and vice versa. This wave continues up and down but in small increments. Your SHFT or short term fuel trim tends to mirror the upstream O2 sensor as it's changing the mixture and the O2 sensor is picking it up, the downstream should be more steady as the cat is burning off the excess fuel or unburned hydrocarbons.

Your upstream is all over the place and the downstream tends to follow it. It seems like the PCM just can't learn a normal rhythm and keep things in check based on all the operating conditions..or it's doing what it can to at least try to keep the fuel mix in check.

When I changed my fuel pressure regulator, I noticed an immediate improvement, small but noticeable and my MPG's increased about 2 MPG. That doesn't mean yours is bad, and it's about a $100 gamble. Without driving it, or hearing it run, getting my hands dirty on it, it looks like a fuel injector issue, carbon deposits, or maybe even a bad O2 sensor.

The long green line at the bottom of the earlier graphs would seem to indicate that's right after the graphs started plotting, that's why I asked if they were just pulled up. Best thing to do is when the graph is opened, wait for the green line or the first reading from the flatline at the bottom, to reach the far left side.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 17

pcharm129

Original poster
Aug 15, 2012
DAlastDON said:
Dont be. Im just reading along hoping that you will find a resolution before you throw the towel in and get rid of the vehicle. I commend you for the diligence.
Thanks. Im really trying. But i definitely have started looking for a replacement... If i find something acceptable before i solve this issue, she's definitely gone. Problem is, i put so much $ and work into her, i'll never get enough for her to feel content...smh. If i can find another EXT, younger, less mileage, loaded, and maybe with a V8, i can swop everything i put on her, THEN get rid of her. Thats my thoughts. Cause i have a lifetime guarantee on many of the parts... Man...even my Alternator cost me $450...

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
If that were mine, I would gamble on a fuel pressure regulator and a good injector cleaner like the 44K before I threw in the towel.

Gerbil21

May 28, 2014
Didn't fully read the whole thread and I'm not sure if this was gone over already but all I can say is,

The 44k won't hurt anything, I have used it in my 05 voy and it seemed to have helped, that was a while ago but it didn't hurt anything. Its only $20 on amazon or you can get redline fuel cleaner for $15 on amazon aswell, I have definitely not heard anything bad about redline.
Also doing seafoam through the vacuum line is more dangerous that any known brand pour in fuel cleaner.

And make sure you only use top-tier fuel GM had a tsb put out for their injectors on our trucks and it says they will get clogged pretty quickly with cheap fuel so make sure you don't use the cheap brands. Also make sure you check the furthest in the back exhaust manifold bolts, they are know to break and can cause air to leak in the exhaust causing wrong readings on the o2 and mess with fuel trims.

Also I plan on running some acdelco x66p directly through the fuel rail and see if that helps, if there's any big difference I'll post it

pcharm129

Original poster
Aug 15, 2012
gmcman said:
If that were mine, I would gamble on a fuel pressure regulator and a good injector cleaner like the 44K before I threw in the towel.
Ok...

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Do you have any hair like strands of media coming out of the tailpipe? Can you see inside with a flashlight?

pcharm129

Original poster
Aug 15, 2012
gmcman said:
Do you have any hair like strands of media coming out of the tailpipe? Can you see inside with a flashlight?
Sorry for the long delay. This is one of my busy months. Im booked all month working like a slave. I got a chance to check the tailpipe. All clear...
Screenshot_2015-09-17-21-36-33-1-1-1.pngScreenshot_2015-09-17-21-36-25-1-1-1-1-1-1-1.png

I also just replaced the FPR and added an 11oz can of 44K to about 3/4 tank of gas. So, stay tuned sports fans! I'll let you know the results soon...

Reactions: Gerbil21

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Hard to tell by the pic, but what is the diameter of that opening in the tailpipe?

Took a few seconds to word that correctly.... lol.

Definitely doesn't look like the 2 1/2" or 2 3/4" opening on the stock exhaust.

pcharm129

Original poster
Aug 15, 2012
gmcman said:
I'm not referring to the tailpipe exit, but the smaller opening farther inside.
Yes, thats the stock pipe in the back. Not sure what that straight piece of metal going across is. I'll get a better flashlight and get a better look...

pcharm129

Original poster
Aug 15, 2012
gmcman said:
I'm not referring to the tailpipe exit, but the smaller opening farther inside.
Took another look. I believe that metal piece going across is piece of the welding rod...

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Can you take a pic of the resonator, that doesn't look at all like the stock tailpipe. The resonator is the last component of the exhaust.

There's a chance this could be the root cause of your problems. Still hard to tell but it looks like a choke point for your exhaust.

Reactions: signalnc and Mounce

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
gmcman said:
Can you take a pic of the resonator, that doesn't look at all like the stock tailpipe. The resonator is the last component of the exhaust.

There's a chance this could be the root cause of your problems. Still hard to tell but it looks like a choke point for your exhaust.
Sure doesn't look quite right does it....

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Looks like he has a res delete. What you're seeing at the end is the welded joint and then the bend in the pipe where it goes over the axle.

I think.

Reactions: pcharm129

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Tiggerr said:
Sure doesn't look quite right does it....
Sure doesn't.

What exhaust is on there now, can you get under and post some pics? Is the entire assembly welded or clamped somewhere? If clamped maybe you can remove the rear portion, I know the factory muffler is pretty quiet to drive without a tailpipe or resonator, quiet enough to not attract any attention.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Sparky said:
Looks like he has a res delete. What you're seeing at the end is the welded joint and then the bend in the pipe where it goes over the axle.

I think.
Looks like about a 1" or maybe 1.5" opening at the weld.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Going back to the first page of this thread, the OP stated he did a resonator delete with a straight pipe from the muffler.

What is the diameter of the pipe from the muffler? Does it take the factory path...ie, bends, and what tip is on there?

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
Yes, that's very strange.

I haven't followed this thread for a while, but in looking at the OP's profile photo something else came to mind. The custom grill shell. I have one on my Sierra. Guess what? Strange O2 sensor behavior. Occasional codes related to MAF and upstream O2. I ended up removing the grill due to trans heat issues while towing down south last week. Magically all my O2 issues went away too. Short story, air flow is critical to getting proper readings on the sensors. Coupled with that small resonator outlet...

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Any updates?

When I changed my exhaust to a walker quiet flow, the muffler choked down inside to about 2", was closer to 1.75" and I lost about 3 mpg. If that opening in your resonator is as small as it looks this could give you problems.

pcharm129

Original poster
Aug 15, 2012
Sparky said:

I think.
Exactly!
gmcman said:
What exhaust is on there now, can you get under and post some pics? Is the entire assembly welded or clamped somewhere? If clamped maybe you can remove the rear portion, I know the factory muffler is pretty quiet to drive without a tailpipe or resonator, quiet enough to not attract any attention.
Its welded...
gmcman said:
Looks like about a 1" or maybe 1.5" opening at the weld.
Nope. Its the stock pipe. There's no restriction. It just looks like a piece of rod got caught in there....
gmcman said:
Going back to the first page of this thread, the OP stated he did a resonator delete with a straight pipe from the muffler.

What is the diameter of the pipe from the muffler? Does it take the factory path...ie, bends, and what tip is on there?
Its the same diameter of the stock pipe. And no bends... Generic tip. But all that was done long before i had this issue. Years before... And no change thus far. Actually back to the whole 160 per tank thing. Tank just hitting E so this will be my first fill up...

Point taken DocBrown. I've been meaning to run a hose from vent to intake. Giess i better make that happen now. No O2 codes tho. Actually no codes at all. Thats part of the problem...

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I cant draw anything on the pic right now but what I'm looking at is the smaller opening at the other end of the tip at the weld. Is it me or does that opening look about half of what the opening should be? Or is that about a 4 or 5" diameter tip thus making the opening in question correct for the application.

Point I'm making is if you have a restricted opening in the exhaust you will have increased backpressure.

pcharm129

Original poster
Aug 15, 2012
gmcman said:
I cant draw anything on the pic right now but what I'm looking at is the smaller opening at the other end of the tip at the weld. Is it me or does that opening look about half of what the opening should be? Or is that about a 4 or 5" diameter tip thus making the opening in question correct for the application.
Point I'm making is if you have a restricted opening in the exhaust you will have increased backpressure.
I have no back pressure, remember? Lol! But yes, its a larger 4inch diameter tip.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
pcharm129 said:
I have no back pressure, remember? Lol! But yes, its a larger 4inch diameter tip.
Copy that.

Yeah I remember the backpressure test but I'm just making sure. If that was a 1" opening then I would say the test was irrelevant or incorrect.

Just crossing off items on your deeply embedded gremlin issue..... :smile:

pcharm129

Original poster
Aug 15, 2012
DocBrown said:
Yes, that's very strange.

I haven't followed this thread for a while, but in looking at the OP's profile photo something else came to mind. The custom grill shell. I have one on my Sierra. Guess what? Strange O2 sensor behavior. Occasional codes related to MAF and upstream O2. I ended up removing the grill due to trans heat issues while towing down south last week. Magically all my O2 issues went away too. Short story, air flow is critical to getting proper readings on the sensors. Coupled with that small resonator outlet...
Now that i think about it, i should have BETTER air flow with the SS grill because the crossbar is vented. Standard grill is not. But I'll still get on that hose...

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
pcharm129 said:
Now that i think about it, i should have BETTER air flow with the SS grill because the crossbar is vented. Standard grill is not. But I'll still get on that hose...
Good idea. Any changes to stock air flow can cause issues, even if it seems like it wouldn't. And I put my grill shell back on, couple of days later, SES light again...

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Interesting points on the grill. I don't believe it would make a difference with the OP since he doesn't have a MAF meter.

pcharm129

Original poster
Aug 15, 2012
Well fellas...looks to be NO change. I just ordered 2 new ACDelco O2s. Smh...this is really bleeding me slowly...

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Also, I believe you told me that you have a heavy foot. If that's the case, jack rabbit starts will surely kill mileage.

Driving like Im balancing wine glasses I get 14 to 16 in the city.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javier perez

Members Online