*ONE* Squeak When I Hit Bumps

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
Before I got my Trailblazer in 2016, I had a 1998 S10 ZR2 Blazer (not a daily driver). I loved that truck, and the two ZR2s I had back in '00/'01. But when you hit a bump in that thing, it squeaked from 15 different points. And when I say bump, I'm talking about even the most subtle of bumps. A small crack in the road would cause a creak. And driving over a typical massachusetts shit-road would just be an insane orchestra of squeaking.

When I got my TB, it was silent! Even on big bumps and extremely rough roads, not a peep. Well about a year or so in, it developed a peep. Just one peep. When I hit bumps, I get ONE single squeak. But I can't tell where it's coming from. I kinda feel like its coming from the underbody, not the interior. But its so hard to tell. And it's very subtle. It doesn't do it when I hit any old bumps. Only certain bumps will cause it. (but this is MA so there are 'certain' bumps literally everywhere).

I know it's not the swaybars or the endlinks. Shortly after it started, I replaced all of my end links, bushings, and rear swaybar to get a stiffer ride. And I did! But it was squeaking before and after, totally unchanged.

My springs and shocks are all new since I owned the truck, but I don't know if they could be squeaking?
I thought I figured it out when I tightened the spare tire holder. But 2 days after I did that, it was doing it again. I must have found a full days worth of smooth roads.

I'm not sure HOW to find this squeak. Anyone have any tips or suggestions? Like either likely causes OR ways I can try to get a good listen without accidentally ghost-riding the whip into a tree.

Redbeard

Jan 26, 2013
About the only three things I can think that may be of use is 1) turn down the volume on your hearing aid or 2) turn up your radio a bit or 3) wait until it throws a code. But on a more serious note the end links I changed out on my '04 started squeak around 1 year after changing. The other might be is having someone else ride with you to get a better idea for the location of this noise. The last squeak I had came from the upper A-frames bushings & new a frames took care of this noise. This was easy enough to hear where this sound came from though.

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Like @Redbeard , I had a squeak at an A-arm bushing. When they wear out, they separate from the outer casing, allowing it to spin and squeak.

Does it do the squeak if you have it parked and bounce the corners of the truck, as if testing the shocks? If so, get a helper to bounce it while you listen.

Reactions: Redbeard

gpking

Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
I chased a squeak for almost a year to no avail, replacing or lubricating almost EVERY suspension part. On a whim, I doused my strut mounts in lubricant and it quit squeaking! That's all you really can do, go part by part and try everything.

Now I spray a little lubricant on them about once every 6 months and stay squeak-free.
hqdefault.jpg

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
You can also try a little grease/oil on the bump stops on the front corners of the hood.

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
Yep, first you need a helper to bounce the vehicle to get it squeaking, then you've got to get under it and try and track it down. Then when you might have it located, try spraying silicone spray in there to see if it fixes it temporarily. Sounds easy right? Haha my favorite is when you can't replicate the sqeak by bouncing the vehicle.

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
I don't think I can replicate the squeek my shaking the truck. It doesn't even do it every time I hit a bump. It seems to only do it on compound bumps, bumps very quickly after another bump. That second force seems to be what causes enough shaking to cause the squeak. Maybe I can have one of my friends drive it down a bumpy hill while I follow on my bicycle to see if I can make out exactly where its coming from.

carshinebob

Jun 13, 2014
Check the plastic tabs on the grill and other front end body stuff. I found a very loud squeak on one of my trucks . It took me about six months to find it. I hought it sounded like the suspension. ~BOB

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
I'm still dealing with a similar squeak on mine. I had two originally, one was caused by the bracket for the fuel filler neck, the black locking tabs that kept it held to the frame were broken so that helped rid of one. The next one seems to be on the rear driver side. Everything seems nice and tight, so now I'm gonna pull the control arms to see if I have a worn bushing. Mine doesn't do it when jumping on the sides of the car, but it sounds awful when driving through a small field.

gary255

Dec 6, 2011
Please respond if you find the source of your squeak. Sound exactly like the same issue that I have.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online