Older update (downdate?) disc

Dr.Fiero

Original poster
Dec 7, 2017
S. Alberta
As strange as it seems - I'm looking for an older version 30.004 update disc.

Sometimes you have to go backwards to get forwards. :wink:

It seems that in the 33.x update that pretty much everyone has, they took away the ability to do a VIN relearn (in my case for a new/used nav unit).

I have a couple PCMCIA cards, so I flashed 27.010 onto one of them using TIS2000, but for some reason it can't find my CANdi module now. Sigh. I've got the raw 30.004 bin file, but have nothing to write the file directly onto the card (I haven't had a machine with a working PCMCIA slot for about 3 decades!).

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
haven't had a machine with a working PCMCIA slot for about 3 decades

Well I have no experience using PCMCIA cards I do have a working 2002 Windows XP Toshiba notebook with PCMCIA slot! If you find no other options maybe I could write that file for you?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
IIRC, those slots on laptops are not compatible with the much older version of PCMCIA cards that the Tech 2 uses. I can't find the actual post but I think @MRRSM covered this. I think voltage and memory type inside are the issues.

Reactions: mrrsm

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
IIRC, those slots on laptops are not compatible with the much older version of PCMCIA cards that the Tech 2 uses. I can't find the actual post but I think @MRRSM covered this. I think voltage and memory type inside are the issues.
I thought I read something to that effect as well now that you mention it.

Dr.Fiero

Original poster
Dec 7, 2017
S. Alberta
Yeah, going that route was a pretty 'last resort' type thing anyhow! Even if it would work, it'd be pretty cost prohibitive to ship things back and forth.

Was really hoping someone might have bought their clone a while back and it came with 30.004 discs - then I could just get an image of it.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Flat Memory” ...or Linear Memory Ram PCMCIA Cards store Data from a single start point of “Zero to Max-Bytes -1” forwards as One Contiguous Event. This is completely different from the original “Paged Memory” structure that emerged ‘way back when’ with the first Intel Pentium using the then New 32 Bit Platform (Quadruple 8 Bit Path).

The Media supporting these two designs are NOT cross compatible and work differently Voltage wise. You should avoid trying to use a 3+ Volt Regular PCMCIA Card inside of the Tech 2… and using the “GYMKO” Tech 2 Program PCMCIA Card in a regular Laptop X86 Designed Computer may damage the Card… and ALL Data stored therein, as these “GYMKO” Linear Ram Cards use EXTREMELY LOW VOLTAGE… and so they can safely and reliably store data for ridiculously long periods of time.

The only thing that can Kill a Linear Ram Card is a Powerful Burst of EMF ...say from a Thermo-Nuclear Bomb detonation… or being physically struck with a Hammer, since the Magnetic States are ordinarily as “Solid State" as you can get (Alan Turing would be proud to have seen this in his lifetime…).

Normally… the Low End Linear Cards have an MTBF (Mean Time Between Failure) of around 250,000 Reads-Writes . However the REALLY expensive ones have an MTBF of over 1,000,000 Reads-Writes.

So… Please… Don’t experiment with “Sticking Things...Where the Don’t Belong’. :>)

Reactions: Mooseman

Dr.Fiero

Original poster
Dec 7, 2017
S. Alberta
Right. No nukes. Got it.
I mean, that was going to be my #3 option, but... fine....

Anyhow - the whole writing with PC was never going to happen. Was just a passing thought.
------------------------
I've been bashing my head against the wheel for a few hours trying every damn year/make/model combination. The ones that recognize the nav deck (can pull calibrations, etc) don't have the VIN learn option. I think I came across one or two that can read the specs, AND have the VIN learn option, AND try to do it.... don't. Says clearing VIN, but it's still locked. :sadcry:

Now, this is still my trying to do it with 27.010 -- I'm still hoping that 30.004 that someone claims they tried to do this very thing and it worked.

The only way I can currently think of pulling this off is with Tech2Win, as that will load the BIN file I have. Just have to find a working crack for it.

My 2nd "only other option" is to say screw it and go brute force. I'll pull the deck apart, clamp onto the BIOS, and ram my VIN down it's throat!! Just have to wait a month for my hardware to show up.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Did you get security access via Tis2000? Usually, for VIN changes, Tis2000 would give security access to the Tech 2. It's been a while since I've done it but it's like connect the Tech 2 to the vehicle, find the menu item for security access, disconnect from vehicle and connect to Tis2000 and get the access, go back to the vehicle and do the VIN change. Or do the radio/module replacement procedure using Tis2000 via the Tech 2 as a pass through, which is usually quicker.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Another alternative method for a performing a New Calibration Flash that does NOT require bypassing security or having any entanglements involving its ordinary "In-Vehicle" relationship to and requisite signalling in between IT and the BCM ... is to do this work ON THE BENCH.

All that you'll require is a Reliable Bench-Top DC Voltage Power Supply, a "GYMKO" Tech2 Scanner Kit, and the "Last Necessity" that I struggled mightily with Designing and Proof Testing for quite a while ...and finally managed to successfully create... is a GM 4.2L Atlas P-10 PCM Bench-Top Harness.

All of this is very well text documented and supported with images in THIS Thread:

Dr.Fiero

Original poster
Dec 7, 2017
S. Alberta
Minor follow up to all this - I needed the 30.004 on my Tech2 to allow doing a VIN relearn on a nav deck I picked up (this was the last version to allow doing that).

Anyhow, today I gave up. Got out a screwdriver and stripped the deck down (OMG - must be 60 screws!) to its nickers. Clamped my CarProg onto the EEPROM, read it back, edited the VIN to be "me" and wrote it back. ~2hrs and Done. Works great!

On that note - anyone have a copy of the latest GMC DVD they ever released for these?
Think it was 10.3 or 10.4 from what I've read.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
This place might be worth browsing through for the Odd & Sundry Older Tech 2 .BIN Files ...like:

Tech 2 "Card Writer" ...?
Tech 2 "PCMCIA'' ....?
Tech 2 "PCMCIA Memory Card Explorer" ...?

There MAY be some .BINS in here worth perusing… Opel Specific?… Perhaps...BUT… Some may still be useful.

https://mega.nz/file/QPYU2B5J#JvOBKyrB1bqpXuUXC8gJU8_HCAAtc3PTLwHMRGWkPz4

https://mega.nz/file/MKIREarI#qjW5E_DD0n1UjwAYGkZyythcWj5U3qqYTDWKYmz5c7k

Last edited:

bcperformance

May 26, 2022
Canada
As strange as it seems - I'm looking for an older version 30.004 update disc.

Sometimes you have to go backwards to get forwards. :wink:

It seems that in the 33.x update that pretty much everyone has, they took away the ability to do a VIN relearn (in my case for a new/used nav unit).

I have a couple PCMCIA cards, so I flashed 27.010 onto one of them using TIS2000, but for some reason it can't find my CANdi module now. Sigh. I've got the raw 30.004 bin file, but have nothing to write the file directly onto the card (I haven't had a machine with a working PCMCIA slot for about 3 decades!).
Hi. Any chance you still have a copy of the bin file for 30.004? If so, would you send me a copy?

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
That 30.004 Zipped BIN File IS still available at the link below and if your issue has to do with Questions about "How To Unlock The Radio" for Pre- (or is it Post- ...?) 2011 GM Vehicles at that same Link for those Answers:

Last edited:

bcperformance

May 26, 2022
Canada
That 30.004 Zipped BIN File IS still available at the link below and if your issue has to do with Questions about "How To Unlock The Radio" for Pre- (or is it Post- ...?) 2011 GM Vehicles at that same Link for those Answers:

Thanks!

bcperformance

May 26, 2022
Canada

Is that the GM one or Suzuki?

bcperformance

May 26, 2022
Canada

I downloaded it but can't unzip it without a password. Any idea where I would find that?

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
If you are sophisticated and skilled enough to want to use an earlier .BIN File; either for Programming or File Tuning any ECM-PCM, then you've "Got The Mental Chops" to be able to do the following:

Instructions for Installing KALI Linux Security OS using VirtualBox on a Windows OS:

Alternative Installation on DVD:

(1) Download the Boot-able ISO version of the Security Suite Version of KALI LINUX and follow the linked instructions on How To Create an ISO and Burn It onto a Blank 4.7 Gigabyte DVD:

(2) Leave the DVD in the Drive and Re-Boot the Machine after selecting the DVD as your Boot Source Drive either from your BIOS or try hitting the F-12 Key first to select it.

(3) Place a USB Thumb Drive in the USB Port with the Encrypted North American (NAO) Version BIN File.

(4) After you have the KALI Dragon Desktop up and running, Select and Run the Canned App for Cracking Password Protected Zipped Files called "JOHN THE RIPPER" and use THIS Video Tutorial to learn How To De-Crypt the Early Tech2 BIN if its using a HASH File:

An Alternative Instructional for Cracking ZIP Files with Passwords:

Using HASHCAT to Crack RAR5 and ZIP Files:

Also... You should know that there are plenty of Training Videos for Brand New Linux Users and for the more involved KALI Security and Penetration Training Videos here from Paid Security Consultants; but available for FREE over on YouTube

CAVEAT EMPTOR:

This "Stuff" Is NOT Supposed To Be EASY...

Please... Proceed Very Cautiously when using ANY Application or Procedures with the KALI Linux Tools... They are VERY DANGEROUS in the Hands of "Smart People" Who Become Careless... and Stupid.

Respect The Privacy of Others and Don't Freelance when Using any of these Security Tools ... EVER!!! The Idea here is for You to become an Ethical Hacker... NOT Wind Up In a Federal Prison... So... Good Luck

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online