old trailvoy member...trailblazer questions

mo_86_05

Original poster
Apr 27, 2012
First off, glad to be over here. When i had problems or questions, t r a i l v o y was my go to place for answers. Dont remember a lot of users, but theroadie was one of the main guys helping me on almost every topic. Glad to see hes over here and glad to be here myslef! Anyhow, on to the questions.

I have an 02 trailblazer ext 4wd and i average around 20mpg hwy miles. Now, while thats not terrible, its also not great with gas $3.69 here. Anyhow, a friend suggested to me to buy a K&N air filter to start off helping get better gas mileage. Will this help, or will i just be wasting $65? Also, he said i can buy some kind of chip that will give me added hp and 5-6 more mpg. Thats where i really need help. Dont want to buy the wrong thing. I could care less about extra hp. Dont get me wrong, its a plus, but if i could get my tb to 25 mpg on the hwy, id be a happy owner!

Also, i know this probably needs to go to the interior section, but what do you guys think of adding led's to the stock interior lights? I was reading up on them, and it seems most posts were back in 09 or 2010 and i was wondering if anyone had leds installed for a while and what your thoughts were on them. Also, how do i find out which lights i need?

thanks for all the help in advance!
Edit/Delete Message

Me007gold

Nov 20, 2011
mo_86_05 said:
First off, glad to be over here. When i had problems or questions, t r a i l v o y was my go to place for answers. Dont remember a lot of users, but theroadie was one of the main guys helping me on almost every topic. Glad to see hes over here and glad to be here myslef! Anyhow, on to the questions.

I have an 02 trailblazer ext 4wd and i average around 20mpg hwy miles. Now, while thats not terrible, its also not great with gas $3.69 here. Anyhow, a friend suggested to me to buy a K&N air filter to start off helping get better gas mileage. Will this help, or will i just be wasting $65? Also, he said i can buy some kind of chip that will give me added hp and 5-6 more mpg. Thats where i really need help. Dont want to buy the wrong thing. I could care less about extra hp. Dont get me wrong, its a plus, but if i could get my tb to 25 mpg on the hwy, id be a happy owner!

Also, i know this probably needs to go to the interior section, but what do you guys think of adding led's to the stock interior lights? I was reading up on them, and it seems most posts were back in 09 or 2010 and i was wondering if anyone had leds installed for a while and what your thoughts were on them. Also, how do i find out which lights i need?

thanks for all the help in advance!
Edit/Delete Message

1st of all Welcome buddy!, 2nd you dont have to censor trailvoy, its not a diry word around here. As for your questions, the filter will be a waste of money, and the only thing chips are good for is eating, The pcm will eventually learn what the chip is diong and over ride it. If you want a permanate tune, you have to get the pcm tuned by a compnay like PCMforless, it may give you a few more mpg's. A few people on here have a LED 'obsession' check out blckshdws LED thread, it has all the info you need to help with your modding

Black_tb

Dec 6, 2011
welcome over pal

Spyw

Apr 23, 2012
I put interior LEDs in to replace all of my lights. IIRC, all of the passenger lights should be 194 replacements and the cargo area uses a 212-2. I got mine from superbrightleds.com about 2 years ago. Auto stores have started carrying LEDs, but don't pay more than a couple bucks per light.

34335_1176442329250_1173840981_30818931_2266446_n.jpg

It looks great from the outside at night, but getting a good picture is a challenge.

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
The first reply to this thread got it all correct. All I have to add is Welcome! :thumbsup:

Me007gold

Nov 20, 2011
Spyw said:
I put interior LEDs in to replace all of my lights. IIRC, all of the passenger lights should be 194 replacements and the cargo area uses a 212-2. I got mine from superbrightleds.com about 2 years ago. Auto stores have started carrying LEDs, but don't pay more than a couple bucks per light.

If your buying led's for your switches, you should not pay more then a few cents per bulb. Big deals can be had on ebay.

mo_86_05

Original poster
Apr 27, 2012
Spyw said:

34335_1176442329250_1173840981_30818931_2266446_n.jpg

It looks great from the outside at night, but getting a good picture is a challenge.

So, what price should i be looking at to do it? I know it all depends on how bright i want it, but lets just go with yours for now. Is the transition very hard to go from a regular bulb to led?

mo_86_05

Original poster
Apr 27, 2012
ok, well i have no clue about a pcm tune. What exactly is it? What all does it do? I've just really debated on trading this truck for a car cheaper on gas, but i love my trailblazer! I like the height of it and not having to fall into a car to sit down. i have long legs so the trailblazer is just right for me....that and i just hate to get rid of a vehicle that i know almost everything about for a vehicle i know nothing about.

Me007gold

Nov 20, 2011
mo_86_05 said:
ok, well i have no clue about a pcm tune. What exactly is it? What all does it do? I've just really debated on trading this truck for a car cheaper on gas, but i love my trailblazer! I like the height of it and not having to fall into a car to sit down. i have long legs so the trailblazer is just right for me....that and i just hate to get rid of a vehicle that i know almost everything about for a vehicle i know nothing about.

Our performance tuning for the 4.2L I6 typically yields 10-14hp and 1-3mpg, as well as better part throttle response, driveability, and more pep off the line. Our tuning also helps with towing if you choose to do so. We can account for any modifications you might have (NO speedo corrections on 02-05, sorry!). After placing your order, please click on "ordersheet" and fill out an ordersheet for your vehicle. We can service all variations of the Trailblazer, including Envoy, Bravada, Rainier, and Ascender.

Trailblazer & Envoy I6

TexazReece

Dec 4, 2011
Welcome over and they have plenty of peeps that have converted interiors to leds and are very helpful in your quest to do the conversion

Spyw

Apr 23, 2012
mo_86_05 said:
So, what price should i be looking at to do it? I know it all depends on how bright i want it, but lets just go with yours for now. Is the transition very hard to go from a regular bulb to led?

Installation is easy, I think my bulbs cost $2-3 each (need 8 194s and 1 212-2). If you're not set on a color, I'd suggest white. I had a theme I was going with, but if you don't have a specific color in mind, white is going to be the easiest to read with.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Spyw said:
Installation is easy, I think my bulbs cost $2-3 each (need 8 194s and 1 212-2). If you're not set on a color, I'd suggest white. I had a theme I was going with, but if you don't have a specific color in mind, white is going to be the easiest to read with.

Plus 4 amber 194's to do the mirrors and front markers and 2 white 194's for the license plate. (If you're doing them.)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online