ok tech2 and window's 10 something odd happened

daddyscaddy05

Original poster
Mar 25, 2019
South Carolina
So i have a little cloudbook made by acer and I needed to put window's 10 back on it so I installed the 32 version of it.... and just for s and g's of it i stuck a downloaded copy of tis2000 that i had on a flash drive in it.. and I do know that it is suppose to work only with win xp and 7... well the program downloaded flawlessly the dongle crack downloaded as well.. when i down loaded it to my win 7 laptop i kept gettin window's kill program,,, and i was having a hard time opening the sps,,,, i never got a kill program when i put it on the windw's 10 and i didn't have no trouble with it working and it opens every time with no issues.. so i am kinda confussed I thought it wasn't suppose to work on window's 19

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Windows Defender, built into Windows 7-10, dislikes any crack program and will kill it automatically. Before downloading and using it, you have to suspend the protection and then add the whole install folder as excluded.

In any case, tis2000 will not run correctly on Win7. You have to install an XP VM and install it in there.

Reactions: mrrsm

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
... and by extension... this Tech 2 "Sticky" Thread created by @southsidesmoka will be very instructive for this purpose:

Reactions: southsidesmoka

daddyscaddy05

Original poster
Mar 25, 2019
South Carolina
I been workin on doin the virtualbox what a pain in the ass to get everything to work on there to get the tis2000 just to run and open... I couldn't get the flash drive to get reconized no matter what i did for the settings... I mean geesh... now i wish all the laptops that i had had one of the would have stayed win xp... now i have to get my usb to serial to work.. this should be fun

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If you follow the how-to posted, it shouldn't be too hard. @southsidesmoka did a great job and is thoroughly tested (not be me since I have an old XP machine)

daddyscaddy05

Original poster
Mar 25, 2019
South Carolina
hooked it up to the car and I still can't get the bypass to work.. tells me that it cant communicate with the car... but the tech 2 works fine and if i do the reg program i am still getting a fail...

I think i know why i am getting no communication and the failed program,, my pcmia card is version 33 the tis2000 software is 23 i do belive

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Are you using something like this USB to DB9 Serial Port Adapter to connect up the DB-9 Adapter and Silver Flat Ribbon Cable to the Tech 2 RS-232 Port? The USB (HWK) Dongle would have to occupy the only other USB Port available on your Acer Cloudbook. Perhaps with this adapter or something similar installed ...you can check your TIS2000 Documentation Disk and read through the the section that covers 'designating a USB Port as a specific Serial-Comm Port and acceptable BAUD rate, rather than allowing Windows 10 to simply assign whatever drivers and setups it wants to in order to establish Serial Communications:

USB2SERIALADAPTER.jpg

Here is the Dope on this USB to DB9 Serial Adapter:

Check out THIS User's Experience with using a similar adapter:

Also... in regards to the PCMCIA Software version of 33.004 being in conflict with the TIS2000 version 23 Software... it is possible that this is an "Apples to Oranges" comparison. Working this problem strictly along the lines of doping out the Serial Communications (Comm Port 5 @ 9600 BAUD, etc...) between the Laptop and the Tech 2 Scanner will be where the problem lies. Please also consider that on one occasion or another... The Chinese Re-Seller's Post Manufacture installation choices of components for the LCD Screen, RS-232 Port and PCMCIA Hardware soldered to the Logic-Motherboard can vary greatly in their component quality and have also revealed problems with the Quality of the Soldered Connections.

It may come down to a physical problem with the RS-232 Male 8 Gold Wire S/S Port that will requires a close look with a Magnifying Glass and perhaps some 'solder touch-up' if you can see any surface mounted corrosion of sketchy looking contacts: DrSchock's excellent video showing how to R&R the Tech 2 Plastic Case sections to swap in a Better DC-2-DC Power Converter and then clean up whatever looks problematic around other soldered components will prove edifying:

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
What @MRRSM said, likely a USB to serial adapter issue or the config for it in the VM or XP.

The versions in the card vs. the one in Tis2000 is a non-issue. That's how I'm set up and works fine as the Tech2 only acts as a passthrough. It doesn't use the software in the tool itself.

Jul 21, 2018
Columbia, SC
To Whom It May Concern:

I noticed @MRRSM mentioned a USB-to-DB9 Serial Port Adapter manufactured by a company with the moniker Plugable that uses a Prolific chipset, which I am writing to caution against using in coordination with our document Running TIS 2000 on Windows 7/8/8.1/10. This admonishment comes from personal experience with a USB-to-DB9 Serial Port Adapter, which was equipped with an unknown Prolific chipset, which failed to establish a connection 100% of the time. Hence, this waning and a similar one in the technical document / guide mentioned above.

Has anybody out there had any personal and positive experience using a Prolific chipset-based USB-to-DB9 Serial Adapter with our gmtnation.com guide? If so, I would love to hear about it!

To be fair, I can't name the model of Prolific chipset that was used in the adapter that presented me with failures. Just a thought.

- southsidesmoka

Last edited:
Reactions: Mooseman and mrrsm

daddyscaddy05

Original poster
Mar 25, 2019
South Carolina
To Whom It May Concern:

I noticed @MRRSM mentioned a USB-to-DB9 Serial Port Adapter manufactured by a company with the moniker Plugable that uses a Prolific chipset, which I am writing to caution against using in coordination with our document Running TIS 2000 on Windows 7/8/8.1/10. This admonishment comes from personal experience with a USB-to-DB9 Serial Port Adapter, which was equipped with an unknown Prolific chipset, which failed to establish a connection 100% of the time. Hence, this waning and a similar one in the technical document / guide mentioned above.

Has anybody out there had any personal and positive experience using a Prolific chipset-based USB-to-DB9 Serial Adapter with our gmtnation.com guide? If so, I would love to hear about it!

To be fair, I can't name the model of Prolific chipset that was used in the adapter that presented me with failures. Just a thought.

- southsidesmoka
well now i know what the problem is why i cant get my car to program or get into the bypass the serial port adapter that you had just listed is the one that I have,,, so i have been racking my brain trying diffrent laptops and such wasting money cuz some serial port adapter is junk,, well at least now i know i am not going nuts

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area

Here are the VOP's (Video Original Poster) Comments and Links to these two recommended USB to Serial Port Adapter(s):

"This video is for the Tech 2 owners out there who are having difficulty getting a connection using a USB to serial adapter. I'm sure that where I had problems there are others out there who may be experiencing the same difficulty with different adapters that just don't work. I also called www.boschdiagnostics.com and talked with a guy in tech support.

Surely, the people who make the Tech 2 scanner now, would know. My Tech 2 was made by Vetronix before Bosch bought them out. Nope, forget it. These guys are clueless and don't even offer a USB to serial adapter and can't recommend one. The adapter that I'm using along with the drivers for different operating systems is located here.

Once you install the driver, restart the OS. Then plug in the adapter and if all is well you'll get a message in your status bar saying that the driver is installing and you will be greeted with a message saying that it installed successfully. Or you could be lucky like me, and get a message saying that the driver did not install successfully. In case you do, go into your device manager, click on the button to update the driver and allow Windows to search the Web for a newer driver.

The adapter is still plugged in at this point. In a few moments, another message will come up saying the driver installed successfully. For my settings on the Com port, they are
COM1, 115,200 Baud, 8 Data bits, No Parity and No Flow Control. Now go to Tis2Web located at www.acdelcotds.com and you can do a test connection to see if all is well. Now go get your latest diagnostics and/or reprogramming software.

Also, I would like to give credit to Sataman for his post regarding a GM recommends a particular USB to serial adapter. The link to where you can purchase this scanner on Amazon is located here:

Hope this video helps you Tech 2 owners out there and thanks for watching."

"It's Better to Light a Candle... Than Curse the Darkness..."

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2018
Columbia, SC
On Amazon: FTDI-based USB-to-DB9 Serial Adapter

- southsidesmoka

Last edited:

daddyscaddy05

Original poster
Mar 25, 2019
South Carolina
yes i seen that post that's how i figured out that the usb to serial is the wrong one... I am glad that he posted that or i would still be messing around with it

daddyscaddy05

Original poster
Mar 25, 2019
South Carolina
imma goin to order the new usb to serial today.. The one that's in ti video that seems to work... the one that i have now with that prolifica chip in it I think i am goin to melt it down and then send it to the company and say thanks for all the damn headache

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Congratulations on having your Diligence and Determination Pay Off...!

Please... Post the Make and Model of the USB to Serial Port Adapter it was that you wound up purchasing that made this functionality possible so that others with this Serial Port HW Problem can 'adapt' and follow suit. Please include the Data on Which Com Port and What Baud Rate worked out for you as well. Thanks!

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Due to a related interest in figuring out "How to Install and Run a Tech 2 -to- TIS2000 Application on a Linux Machine"... I had already purchased that same said Model 19-HS USB-to-Serial Port Adapter...and took these images of the Device:

TRIPPLITEUSB2SERIAL1.jpgTRIPPLITEUSB2SERIAL2.jpgTRIPPLITEUSB2SERIAL3.jpgTRIPPLITEUSB2SERIAL4.jpgTRIPPLITEUSB2SERIAL5.jpgTRIPPLITEUSB2SERIAL6.jpgTRIPPLITEUSB2SERIAL7.jpgTRIPPLITEUSB2SERIAL8.jpg

Reactions: daddyscaddy05

daddyscaddy05

Original poster
Mar 25, 2019
South Carolina
Due to a related interest in figuring out "How to Install and Run a Tech 2 -to- TIS2000 Application on a Linux Machine"... I had already purchased that same said Model 19-HS USB-to-Serial Port Adapter...and took these images of the Device:

View attachment 88569View attachment 88570View attachment 88572View attachment 88573View attachment 88574View attachment 88575View attachment 88576View attachment 88577
I was goin to do that but the tech 2 and the serial port are still in the car... and i have some more stuff i want to do now that I have it working,,, and window's 10 32bit does work with tis2000

Jul 21, 2018
Columbia, SC
I was goin to do that but the tech 2 and the serial port are still in the car... and i have some more stuff i want to do now that I have it working,,, and window's 10 32bit does work with tis2000

To indulge my curiosity, could you please elaborate on your x86 Windows 10 setup, @daddyscaddy05 , so that I may expand upon my knowledge and possibly tinker with some of the requisite suggestions and directions in our tech doc? How much RAM and storage does your system have? How would you rate system performance? Anything else of importance that you feel is worth mentioning? Thank you, sir, for letting me pick your brain!

- southsidesmoka

daddyscaddy05

Original poster
Mar 25, 2019
South Carolina
To indulge my curiosity, could you please elaborate on your x86 Windows 10 setup, @daddyscaddy05 , so that I may expand upon my knowledge and possibly tinker with some of the requisite suggestions and directions in our tech doc? How much RAM and storage does your system have? How would you rate system performance? Anything else of importance that you feel is worth mentioning? Thank you, sir, for letting me pick your brain!

- southsidesmoka
intel core i5 6200u cpu @2.30ghz with 4gb ram.. the hard drive is ssd 449 and that's only because i split my drive to have win 10/32 on one half and i have win 10/64 on the other have,, the 32 is for tis2000 and 64 is for tis2web the system seems to handle it just fine.. the computer i am using is a acer aspire e15 if u want to go look the spec of it.. anything else ya want to know just ask

Jul 21, 2018
Columbia, SC
intel core i5 6200u cpu @2.30ghz with 4gb ram.. the hard drive is ssd 449 and that's only because i split my drive to have win 10/32 on one half and i have win 10/64 on the other have,, the 32 is for tis2000 and 64 is for tis2web the system seems to handle it just fine.. the computer i am using is a acer aspire e15 if u want to go look the spec of it.. anything else ya want to know just ask

Many a thanks to you, @daddyscaddy05 . Your shared experience with x86 Windows 10 has brought me to the point of editing and revision of our tech-doc! Your efforts are appreciated.

- southsidesmoka

daddyscaddy05

Original poster
Mar 25, 2019
South Carolina
Many a thanks to you, @daddyscaddy05 . Your shared experience with x86 Windows 10 has brought me to the point of editing and revision of our tech-doc! Your efforts are appreciated.

- southsidesmoka
you are quite welcome,, I am glad to help out where and if i can,,, it helps when people can share knowledge or happen to stubble upon something by accident that works lol if thee is anything else you need I will surely be more then willing to be helpful,,,

Reactions: mrrsm and Mooseman

sewilljason

Dec 15, 2019
Hillsboro ND
Im willing to pay someone to set up my HP elite book 8740w with the TIS2000. It has windows 7 pro. I have the CD’s for the windows and TIS. I’ve wiped it out and started all over to many times. I will send it all along with my Tech 2.
Frustrating the hell out of me.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Welcome to GMT Nation...

This may sound a bit tedious for you to have to establish your recollection of the procedures you followed that so far have been less than successful... but it will help us to understand How To Guide You through a successful installation of both the Windows 7 Operating System (with FULL and COMPLETE System OS Updates Installed FIRST) AND then find solace in the Well-Proven, Well Documented Procedures developed and memorialized by @southsidesmoka 's Epic Thread on "How to Install and Run TIS2000 on Windows 7,8 and 10" via THIS Link:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I don't think it really matters except to speed up the boot process as it searches to boot from the CD and then the HD.

sewilljason

Dec 15, 2019
Hillsboro ND
As of now......... it’s running. Have not connected my tech 2 yet.
On my windows 7 pro reboot, I only installed the drivers from the CD/DVD. Nothing else. Made sure my WiFi was turned off too.
Then I uninstalled all the security programs. Microsoft “Kill.exe”is the key one to find and move it right to the recycle bin. Make sure you empty your recycle Bin. I shut my computer down and started it every time I emptied the recycle bin.
WiFi is connected now and so far all good.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Unless you've passed out and gone to sleep by now... (it's 02:57 EST Here...)

Okay... when you mention that...'...and so far all good...' Does that mean that the Tablet Machine has the Windows 7 32 Bit OS completely installed AND that the (3) Disk Set for the TIS2000 Software Suite is ALSO installed? Are you able to see the TIS2000 Application Icon on your Desktop? Last Question... Are you using the TIS2000 "Cracked" Version of the Software... or does your system require the use of a USB "Dongle"?

Before you go any further... Please visit the Tech 2 sub-forum called "Additional Tech 2 Resources" Thread and Locate and Download the Bosch Vetronix Color Instructional PDF in the first few posts to help you with "How to Set Up the Tech 2" when interfacing the Tablet. Make certain to have ALL Physical Cabling and Power 110 AC Adapter attached to the Tech 2 FIRST before proceeding. If you get everything up and running and STILL cannot get the Tablet to recognize the Tech 2 ... I'll help you to Diagnose any RS-232 Serial Port Recognition issues. Fingers Crossed and let us know what happens next...

Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
You'll have to Create a Google GMAIL Account and a Youtube Account first... then Upload your Video(s) on Youtube and post the Link(s) back here. AFAIK... GMT Nation cannot store and retrieve Videos on the Main System Server. Other alternative Off-Site Video or Cloud access will work equally well via the suggested Post-Link idea, too.

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online