Oily film on bellhousing - Source?

ComputernerdBD

Original poster
Aug 24, 2014
Hey everyone. So I am in the process of changing all the drivetrain fluids on the truck over two weekends. Last weekend I did the engine oil and the transmission fluid (via the drain plug like I do every year or so, I have the filter done every 2nd or 3rd change.), next weekend I am looking to do the differentials and transfer case. ATF was still a deep red, seems the cooler is doing its job and even in hot weather at high speeds on the interstate it keeps it around 200F or less, most of the time 170-190F, normally 20-30F cooler than the antifreeze. While doing an inspection under the truck looking for leaks I found a couple this time... One of which I had some real concerns about.

Noticed starting where the two rubber plugs are (located on the bottom between the engine and transmission) an oily film that extends from between those plugs and the metal bottom of the bellhousing (as in liquid getting trapped there, not sure it would make it through if it was coming from above within the case) ranging to all the way back to the front of the transmission pan and up toward the pan gasket. No drops anywhere and when I took off the bellhousing inspection cover the torque converter and gears are completely dry but a very small amount of reddish fluid (not even adding up to an actual drop) on the back of the cover. I run my fingers in there and while the inside of the bell housing has a film too and unable to feel around for an actual bead of fluid, I can't get enough of it out of there to sample what it is via smell or visual. Telling the difference between oil and ATF on this car if the fluid was diluted would be difficult if both fluids are new as I use Royal Purple in the engine. I am hoping this is not a pump seal or O-ring but taking the film into account are there any other items such as the dipstick seal or overflow which might account for this and then fluid could end up via the airflow seeping behind the cover? Not sure if the leak is really internal in this case but maybe the other way around? I just did two long range and fast 6 hour trips between NY and VA and a bunch of 2 hour ones over the last two months I don't recall this being there last time I did the last oil change.

Also not sure if related but when I went to change the fluid it only took 4 quarts and even then it was slightly over on the hot mark and remains there now. When I did the work the frame was level on four jackstands at the same height placed under the frame rails, but inevitably puts the truck on a slight nose up angle as it naturally sits nose low. I believe the trans was also slightly over before the change.

Thanks for any tips on this.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
This Problem.... Slow or Minimal Drips from coming out above the pulled Dual Rubber Plug mating the Bell Housing of the 4L60E Transmission where it mates up with the back of the Engine Block Here...

P8043057.jpg

...is caused by a LEAKING TRANSMISSION FLUID FRONT PUMP SEAL as displayed here...
You can see this one was leaking as well from the dirt and oily residue slipping downwards:

FRONTXNSMSEAL.jpg

This requires pulling the Transmission and performing a New Seal R&R.

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If it's just a film and not an active drip, I'd leave it and monitor. Pretty typical.

What mileage does it have?

ComputernerdBD

Original poster
Aug 24, 2014
Yup that is where exactly.... How bad and how fast do those normally go over time? Last night I took it through the car wash which cleaned it off and 24 hours later it hasn't come back yet. Seems it only is doing it during driving. If that is the case it would make sense that it happened just after a 6 hour one way trip.

65k on it. Thank you both for the info.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Over time... collecting Transmission Fluid that finds a static resting place will partially evaporate enough to get a little "gummy" and this would speak to how slowly the leak from that Shaft Seal is occurring. If the stuff was Bright Red and Fresh... it would be a different matter entirely. That Shaft Seal is designed to be very forgiving because it mates up with the smooth OD of the hollow shaft aft portion of the Torque Converter that slips over the front take-off spline leading into the core of the Transmission.

The dynamic motions of the Torque Converter allow for it to swell up a like a balloon when under higher RPM levels and shifting activity... and it MUST also be able to slide into and out of that Suspect Seal innumerable times during the life of the Transmission. It follows that in time... the Seal will gradually become loose enough to leak very small amounts of Transmission Fluid from the interior... but whatever Fluid is directly BEHIND the TC Shaft Seal is NOT under High Pressure. Ergo...it Weeps...rather than Sprays out Transmission Fluid.

Hence as the Seal slowly wears and goes sideways... the gradual emission of only a few drops of fluid will occur while all of this action is going on. The only real danger to the Transmission would happen if Sand and Dirt were allowed to get between the TC Shaft OD and the edges of the loose Shaft Seal...and that can only happen if the S/S Viewing Plug is left out... or if those Two Rubber Plugs are either left out during service work... or they just fall out and allow Dirt and Water to splash up inside of the Bell Housing and Flex-Plate areas. Both events are highly unlikely ...and easy to investigate from underneath the vehicle. So Far... So Good. :>)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timmerk

Members Online