Oil weight question

WeaponX

Original poster
Mar 23, 2019
Pittston, PA
I’ve always used 10w-30 royal purple synthetic oil when it was time to change the oil but my question is now that it’s winter should I increase the weight to like 10w-40 or....? Thank you

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The lower number is the viscosity when cold. You need a lower number for easier pumpability in sub zero temps. Once warm, it will lubricate like a 30 weight oil. You can never go wrong always using 5w30.

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Oil is thermoplastic, it thins as it warms up (to a point, then cokes up). The number before the "w" is a number assigned for cold flow and pump ability. Certain ASTM tests are done at certain temperatures to give an oil the number. The lower the number the colder temp the oil has to pass the tests at.

At 100 celcius the oil has to fall within a certain bracket to be called a certain weight. Like 9 to 13 cSt to be a 30 weight. So you could have a thin 30 weight that is essentially identical to a thick 20 weight.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
This Video from IMSTRICKEN06 gives "chilly" visual proof of @TJBaker57, @Mooseman and @BrianF 's observations of the need for using the Lowest Viscosity Lower Number during Sub-Zero and DEEP Cold periods of Vehicle Operation:

Last edited:

bfairweath

Oct 20, 2013
Neenah, WI
Mobile 1 makes a 0W-30 (available reasonably priced at Wal-Mart). I have an old Honda Civic that has a lot of valve train chatter in cold weather. Using the 0W-30 really quiets it down. I tried it in the Trailblazer one winter. Didn't seem to like it. It seemed louder than using Mobile 1 5W-30.

Reactions: mrrsm and WeaponX

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Changing to a LONG K&N vs. installing the GM OEM ACDelco Oil Filter in combination with the 0W-30 Weight Mobil 1 might make for a winning combination for Deep Cold-Winter Driving.

Reactions: WeaponX

WeaponX

Original poster
Mar 23, 2019
Pittston, PA
Wow I just learned a lot thanks guys!
I always use a K&N oil filter and Royal purple oil but never even knew u went lower for cold as I’ve never tried it before but will this year. Thanks again everyone cause I really did learn a lot

Reactions: mrrsm and Redbeard

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online

No members online now.