Oil Pressure Switch

Mektek

Original poster
May 2, 2017
FL
The used oil pressure switch installed a year and a half ago started to leak. I decided to go with a new one.
Local part stores had it for $47 - fleabay had a PS310 switch for less than five bucks:yes:
The only catch is that I have to wait two weeks for a package from Hong Kong.

Just an FYI for a economical solution to this common problem. There is a thin plastic membrane between the oil pressure and the electrical switch. And easy point of failure.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I think at that price, I might've gotten TWO. Even if the first one breaks (at some point) -- you're $ ahead!

Aaramill

Dec 19, 2014
Watch a couple YouTube videos so you know what sockets, adjusters, etc you need.

I did it with:
deep socket/oil pressure switch socket
Extension
socket Adapter that has an adjustable joint

Switch is a dummy switch anyway. The oil pressure reading on the dash isn’t real unless you have an SS. The switch sends a different signal when under something like 12 psi? If I remember right.

Switches get sticky or stuck.
On our 2 4.2’s, it’s been leaving them outside in the cold later in life...150-200k mi.

The little mesh filter piece beside it is important too. I think they added it in 04, but I think you can add it with an earlier model.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The little mesh filter piece beside it is important too. I think they added it in 04, but I think you can add it with an earlier model.

Are you confusing this with the one in the DOD V8's? The 4.2 doesn't have one.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Switch is a dummy switch anyway. The oil pressure reading on the dash isn’t real unless you have an SS.

The 5.3 V8 has a true pressure reading switch. The 5.3 motors have a screen under the switch to keep crud out of the switch, and in the case of DOD engines, out of the collapsible lifters.

Mektek

Original poster
May 2, 2017
FL
While I was doing an oil change yesterday I installed the ps310. Looks just like the original and seems a good replacement. I wrapped a piece of sheet metal inside a 30mm socket and did not use the special socket. To keep these old trucks on the road we have to save a buck everywhere we can.

Reactions: C-ya

Berns

Jun 22, 2013
Just throwing it out there....

I have the tite reach set that I got as a gift and when I needed to switch mine out on my 4.2 it was a breeze.

I was struggling trying to get the switch out in the tight space so I kept trying different ratchets to see which one would work without backing out and hitting the body and having no room to slide the ratchet off the socket. While searching for another ratchet in my tool box I looked up and I noticed that I had hung up the set and decided to try the 3/8 extender. In less than 5 min, took the switch out and put one in. This was after 15-20 min struggling to get the switch out and fighting with the limited space and my big hands.

I have only used them a couple of times but the extenders are great for these types of jobs.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL

Berns

Jun 22, 2013
Sure is a knuckle saver. Has gotten me out of a few snags. I have not tried with impact even though it states it is impact rated.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online