Oil Pressure on Torque

linneje

Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
My oil pressure gauge on my Envoy has never worked since I owned it. The needle is maxed to the right, even if I just turn the key to "on" and don't start it. Is there a way to read the oil pressure with Torque Pro? It doesn't seem to display for me. Or would the reading even be close to the true pressure?

freddyboy61

Dec 4, 2011
This sounds more like a bad stepper motor for the oil pressure gauge. If you have the 6 cylinder engine, there is no actual oil pressure sensor, just an on/off switch sensor. The PCM creates a phony reading for the gauge.

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
My oil pressure gauge on my Envoy has never worked since I owned it. The needle is maxed to the right, even if I just turn the key to "on" and don't start it. Is there a way to read the oil pressure with Torque Pro? It doesn't seem to display for me. Or would the reading even be close to the true pressure?

I looked in your profile and see a 5.3 but not a year??

The 5.3 does have a real oil pressure sensor as far as I know.

Before digging in, what year are we working with?

Edited to add: What is the PID number you are currently seeing in Torque Pro??

Last edited:

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado

Another thought here... have you ever looked into the wiring for the pressure sensor?? It sounds like maybe the signal wire is either open or shorted to ground somewhere. Or the sensor itself has failed. If the needle is at or near zero with key off and goes full scale with key at RUN that sounds to me like a sensor/wiring issue and Torque would read the same thing.

linneje

Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
I was assuming the stepper motor was bad - but perhaps it is the wiring.
My profile doesn't say 2003? The PID says [GM] Oil Pressure (Engine) 221470 in the PID Editor.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You would think that if it's a wiring or sensor issue it would throw a code since it goes through the PCM.

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
The PID says [GM] Oil Pressure (Engine) 221470 in the PID Editor.

Try "22115C" in place of the "221470" and see what that might get you. That is what I use for my 2005 5.3 LM7 Yukon.

You would think that if it's a wiring or sensor issue it would throw a code since it goes through the PCM.

One would think so. My LM7 supports P0522 and P0523 for oil pressure sensor abnormalities.

So if it can be seen with Torque Pro or equivalent it may help in determining if you have a functioning sensor and the fault is in the cluster.

Now if the above PID doesn't work for your particular 5.3 there MAY be another option. It depends on if your Envoy uses ISO 15765-4 (canbus) or the SAE J1850 VPW protocol. Look at your OBD2 port. Are there more than 4 terminals with connections in them? Or does it look like this... with just 4 terminals populated??

PXL_20210606_142402085~2.jpg

If it looks like the pictured port above, read on..

Somewhere recently I posted about using Torque Pro to display certain information that is being sent to the cluster. Not truely a PID, which is a Parameter ID but rather this taps into the data being sent to the cluster for display. In Torque it is entered as a PID however. Here is the setup....

Screenshot_20210606-081620.png

Screenshot_20210606-081631.png

Reactions: Mooseman

linneje

Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
Thanks for the detailed information. I will check that out and post back.

linneje

Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
It took me a long time to get to this job. I wanted to see the pressure on Torque because occaisionally the pressure gauge would drop to zero for a few seconds (along with a warning on the DIC) and then swing back to max.

I decided to replace the pressure sensor in the back of the engine. Not a fun job. Just barely could get my hand back there, had to lose some skin first to make it fit. Got the connector off and removed the sensor. It was in really bad shape, lots of gunk. Did not find a screen in the hole, and believe me I tried hard.

Once I got the new one in, connected (lost more skin), the pressure gauge was normal. It had never been normal. Not since I got it twelve years ago. So the problem all along was the pressure sensor. The lack of readings on Torque were due to a crappy sensor.

Thanks for the advice.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.