Oil Life Meter?

rictus8791

Original poster
Apr 24, 2012
I tried doing some searches without any luck so if this has been answers a dozens times, many apologies. I usually only change my oil when the light comes on to tell it is time and always use Mobil 1 full synthetic. I was thinking it has been some time since my last oil change, then I realized that I have done a bit of work here and there that needed the battery to be disconnected. Does that reset the oil life meter (or whatever OLM stands for)? If not, how are people checking these percentages? A regular code scanner or will Autozone read those for you if you ask? Does anyone have a recommendation on a reasonably priced scanner for an occasional weekend DIYer? Any help is always much appreciated.

rictus8791

Original poster
Apr 24, 2012
Thanks, I scanned through most of that thread but only saw the eternal debate, nothing that answered my questions.

Uncle Blazer

Dec 8, 2011
I think the point made by the debating is that some people let the computer tell them when to change the oil, and others change it at a set interval. To each their own. Will disconnecting the battery reset the OLM, I dont know; I go by miles driven and dont pay much attention to the change oil light. somebody else will have to chime in on that one.

For your second question, most people around here use Scangauge 2.

Wex

Dec 4, 2011
My scangauge2 using the xgauge feature will display the OLM value. A very useful tool.

rictus8791

Original poster
Apr 24, 2012
Thanks for the information on the OLM. Is the ScanGauge2 worth the investment for the occasional tinkerer and DIYer? Or is this more something for a hardcore tinkerer and tweaker?

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
rictus8791 said:
Thanks for the information on the OLM. Is the ScanGauge2 worth the investment for the occasional tinkerer and DIYer? Or is this more something for a hardcore tinkerer and tweaker?

I think the answer for this is more of a personal choice. A lot of people do just about ALL if not ALL their own mechanical/maintenance work on top of their own modifications and tweaks. I personally feel that it's worth every penny. I do almost all the mechanical and maintenance plus mods on my truck like many other members here do(I said almost cuz hubby helps as he has more muscles lol). I also have a truck that just adores spending my hard earned cash, as we seem to have an issue every other week with it, so for me it's extremely useful.

Plus I live in a VERY VERY small town, and no one here owns a scan tool, even the BIG time mechanics don't have one, so if something were to happen where a scan tool is needed, I'd have to travel quite a ways. The closest scan tool is at O'reilly's, but the PCM has to be throwing a code in order for it to even read anything. Plus not to mention that dealerships can charge a freaking arm and a leg to diagnose a mechanical/electrical problem. It cost me almost $200 bucks just for them to diagnose a failing fan clutch, luckily my extended warranty paid for all those costs.

SO I think the decision is a personal one, but just know that it has been pretty damn handy for those who have spent the money for one, even if they aren't using it all the time, or even frequently at all, at least they have the peace of mind knowing that if there comes a time, or need...they will have one ready to go to work for them. It makes diagnosing issues of all kinds so much easier!

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
rictus8791 said:

Yes it is handy. Besides being able to read out engine info that the dash doesn't tell you (I do not have the driver's info center) you can also read codes though you have to look them up. Already saved my bacon twice.

bleu7

Mar 27, 2012
If you own an Android device you can buy a Bluetooth scanner off of Amazon or Ebay for like $17 and theres a free app on the market which you can upgrade to even more features.for.$5.

Thats whay am getting.

Any input on that scanner option guys?

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
bleu7 said:
If you own an Android device you can buy a Bluetooth scanner off of Amazon or Ebay for like $17 and theres a free app on the market which you can upgrade to even more features.for.$5.

Thats whay am getting.

Any input on that scanner option guys?

The app is called Torque. This is what I use and it has been sufficient for 99% of my needs. I never cared/looked at trying to get oil life from it but recent versions allow you to create your own PIDs. I don't see any reason it wouldn't be possible. The app is actively supported and under constant improvement by its developer. My primary reason for getting it was transmission temperatures and that works well now.

A word of caution: there have been numerous reports of super-cheap chinese-knockoff bluetooth OBD modules that are dead-on-arrival or flakey. I fortunately gambled and won with one. YMMV

Kuchar09

Dec 4, 2011
Just for the curious minds you can get oil life with the torque app with the correct pid (which I would have to look at my phone).

smason

Apr 12, 2012
Kuchar09 said:
Just for the curious minds you can get oil life with the torque app with the correct pid (which I would have to look at my phone).

Kuchar09, How did you get it to work? I have tried... but no luck.

Kuchar09

Dec 4, 2011
smason said:
Kuchar09, How did you get it to work? I have tried... but no luck.

Which part exactly? Just in general the key is a non cheap Bluetooth adapter. I'll get some screenshots of the pids later today.

bleu7

Mar 27, 2012
AtlWrk said:
A word of caution: there have been numerous reports of super-cheap chinese-knockoff bluetooth OBD modules that are dead-on-arrival or flakey. I fortunately gambled and won with one. YMMV

fyi on Ebay which is were you can get most of the bluetooh OBD modules, there are some with 12-24-36 month warranties :biggrin: and for under $20, and i have had no issues getting replacement for items ive bought with warranty :biggrin:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.